What does this mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does this mean?

I downloaded American Wildflower Quilt pattern (scrappy) from McCalls Quilting but can't work out what the bold letters signify. I can take a guess at H - half ? but what about K and J. The pattern also say 'finished size of quilt is 57"x71"G. Any ideas? I emailed the magazine but no reply as yet.

Quilt instructions.JPG

You might want to reach out the the com any and ask for clarification, perhaps there was a error.

Comment

I’m sorry but I don’t have a clue what the letters mean. I hope you hear back from the magazine. Did you read the “Planning” section that they refer to?
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• sewUK
        sewUK commented
        Editing a comment
        I did but the only clue is "A 2H strip collection typically contains 40 precut 2Hx44-45 strips" which makes me think that H indeed stands for 'half'. The rest are still a mystery!!!

I would think they are referring to fabric maybe? J fabric you need 1 yard K fabric and so on. A lot of times patterns are to showcase fabrics. Just a guess

Comment

It may be the program format from your computer. It's something to do with symbols/fractions and compatibility issues. It can happen when downloading recipes also.

Did you use a pdf format?

You might try a different "save as" to see if anything changes.

Hopefully, the company will respond to your inquiry.

Comment

I think it's a formatting issue. I get texts from a friend where her question marks (which appear even when she's not asking a question) are upside down. My phone is incorrectly reading the format. My guess would be that the K is supposed to be 1/2.

Rob
          There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
          --Ken Burns

Comment

boy, confusing. i was thinking that stood for colors they were using. but that shouldn't be on a pattern being used by purchasers. Where was this pattern made? In another Country?? Do they have a photo or drawing that has those letters on it?? you would have to compare that with the cutting instructions. irritating but i've seen that before.
            Last edited by nativetexan; October 1, 2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• sewUK
              sewUK commented
              Editing a comment
              Nope. It was in McCalls Quilting Daily March/April 2015!! Picked it up from somewhere? Have heard from a media group (publishers?) that they will pass on my question to McCalls so fingers crossed. I'll be sure to post again when I find out

I also think it's a formatting problem. If the company doesn't know the answer, I would ask them to send me a "hard" copy in the mail. If they won't do that, I suppose you could purchase the magazine that it was featured. McCalls's Quilting says it's in the March/April 2015 magazine. Now bear in mind that this is a digital copy of the magazine & you might have the same problem if it's a formatting problem. I'd try to find a hard copy of the magazine or see if you could purchase one directly from McCalls or somewhere like Ebay:

https://www.quiltingdaily.com/produc...gital-edition/
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/MCCALLS-QUI...IAAOSwWuxfEzis
            Last edited by osewme; October 1, 2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• ktdid
              ktdid commented
              Editing a comment
              I have the downloaded magazine it's perfectly written

I found an article on the quilt designer.

https://blog.folkschool.org/2015/01/...flowers-quilt/

Maybe we can find a way to write her direct?
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Don't know if this info is still current but in the article that Hulamoon found, it said that Audrey Hiers (the designer of the quilt) lived in Blairsville, Ga. so I did a little searching and found this info:
              https://nuwber.com/person/563a3f4ee0cd4806cbe15f23

Comment

• Hulamoon
                Hulamoon commented
                Editing a comment
                She also taught at that school. The link for that is stalling on me. It's a .org, don't know if that's why, but they have phone #'s listed

• osewme
                osewme commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow Hulamoon, I just looked at that school's catalog & would love to take a ton of classes that they offer. Oh to be younger with lots of money & a place like that near by.

https://www.folkschool.org/

• Hulamoon
                Hulamoon commented
                Editing a comment
                I know! I wanted to send one of my dd's to a school this, and this may have been the one. Instead of a four year college you could learn a trade you love and make some money at it. My dh liked to work on motor cycles. I looked up schools for becoming certified. All he did was mope around dreaming. What can ya do?

From what I have seen it often referred to type of fabric chosen for the fabric, , you may say red is K , blue is J etc. If you think on the types of fabric in the cuts required, would they piece together to make the layout ? Jenny makes it easier by saying so much of the back ground fabirc, and so much of the sashing fabric. I suspect that is what it means

Comment

• nativetexan
                nativetexan commented
                Editing a comment
                yes, i tend to stay away from patterns that do that. I don't want to have to buy the fabric just to make the pattern.
                Last edited by nativetexan; October 1, 2020, 08:15 PM.

I have that issue on my computer, I can get you the complete pattern without all the screwups! Send me a PM and we'll figure something out, here is the original text (you mentioned "A 2H strip collection typically contains 40 precut 2Hx44-45 strips"), the H means 1/2 the G is 1/4 Kathryn * "A 2½˝ strip collection typically contains 40 precut 2½˝ x 44-45˝ strips from the same
              fabric collection. If you wish to do as Audrey did, just substitute 1 strip collection for the assorted prints and florals listed.
              Assorted prints and 2⅜-2¾ yds.
              florals (blocks) total*
              White/multicolor
              pastel dot (blocks) 1⅜ yds.
              Medium blue solid
              (flange, binding) 1⅛ yds.
              Cream/blue/pink large
              floral (setting triangles) 1⅜ yds.
              Backing (piece
              widthwise) 4 yds.
              Batting size 66˝ x 80˝

(cut in order listed)
              = cut in half twice diagonally
              = cut in half diagonally
              Assorted prints and florals
              12 strips 2½˝ x width of fabric (WOF)
              128 strips 2½˝ x 5½˝
              White/multicolor pastel dot
              12 strips 3½˝ x WOF
              Medium blue solid
              8 strips 2½˝ x WOF (binding)
              11 strips 1˝ x WOF
              Cream/blue/pink large floral
              4 squares 17˝ x 17˝
              2 squares 9˝ x 9˝
              Last edited by ktdid; October 2, 2020, 06:27 AM.
              Kathryn
              There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• sewUK
                sewUK commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow and wow! that is so helpful - how did you do that. As I said I'd guessed the H but the rest????? I can now make a start thanks to your detective work

Do you still need the whole article & pattern??
              Kathryn
              There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• sewUK
                sewUK commented
                Editing a comment
                No thanks - I have the pattern and it was only the strange letters that were confusing me. Quite a few of the posts referred to formatting problems etc so that seems to have been the case? Thanks again for all your help - you're a genius
            Working...
            X