Ready to quilt and need suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready to quilt and need suggestions

Rosie's quilt.jpg I got my Grace qzone hoop frame set up with my Janomi HD3000 last night (a story for another day) and am looking for some suggestions to quilt this project for my sister's birthday. I am BRAND new to machine quilting so I am struggling with what to do. I have a ruler foot but have not purchased rulers yet and expermented with free motion some last night. I have so many questions
    1. What are your suggestions for how to quilt this one?
    2. What color thread (the backing is a chocolate brown)?
    3. How do you handle cutting threads while quilting? my machine doesn't have that option
    I appreciate any insight and I am sure I will be back with more questions!

Have a great day!
    Attached Files

Very pretty quilt, love all the fall colors!

It depends on if you want your quilting or quilt to be dominant. If you want the quilt to be dominant I would choose a neutral color to quilt with that will blend into the fabric if you want your quilting to be dominant then choose a darker color thread so the quilting stands out.

Since you have a lot of angles in your pattern you could choose a quilt design with more soft curves or a circular design to soften it.

If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

No I can give you any suggestions because I quilt by hand but if I want to tell you that your quilt is very nice

Comment

Do you have a walking foot? Since you really don't know how to do FMQ yet, I'd do straight line quilting with your walking foot. It should be easy to keep the lines straight as you go from corner to corner, diagonally across the blocks. I think I would use a medium brown/tan thread to match that med. brown fabric. It would blend in with the darker colored fabrics & not contrast too much on the light fabric. Remember to start quilting in the middle & work out towards the sides. Use a 3.0 stitch length. Cutting threads: When you're getting close to where you want to stop stitching, reduce the stitch length to 1.5 for a few stitches, then cut the thread close to the quilt top. It's not necessary to back stitch at the start & finish of sewing if you remember to reduce the size of the stitch length. I usually work in quadrants, starting in the middle & working towards the sides & top or bottom. Lovely fall colors in your fabrics. Good luck.

Comment

• NinaWV
          NinaWV commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a walking foot but am also using the Q-zone hoop frame. With my domestic machine the throat space is limited. There are lots of challenges with my setup but I am not sure I am ready to make the plunge for another and more expensive machine. I am a little fearful of the Q'niques complicated set ups.

I love the idea of diagonal but how would I load it into the frame? I have a set of leader cloths. Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

What about a simple orange peel design. You go along the blocks one way and return on opposite blocks. Do all vertical then horizontal. This is my go to quilting for square. I dont hoop.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• NinaWV
          NinaWV commented
          Editing a comment
          do you use a ruler foot and template or draw the design and then quilt it? I can't use a template with my current set up.
      Working...
      X