Quilt design help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt design help

I need advice! I am making a quilt for my mom based on photos of her animals plus some scrappy patchwork. I want it to look mixed, bit cohesive. I think the outer border is too busy. I have examples of the current corner and how I may simplify it. I will take any feedback/criticism!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

That's really cool! I think the only thing is the two sides. I would put the similar block across from each other in a different order. The two flowers in the middle to balance the weight of it. Not weight, umm, can't think of the word.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with putting the flowers in the middle to balance each side. Lori, does composition fit better than weight?

• Hulamoon
      Hulamoon commented
      Editing a comment
      i think I was thinking dominate. The flowers sitting at the bottom feels heavy, like it dominates instead of letting your eye move around. Is that a good word?

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with middle for the flowers opposite corners for the stars and animals.

Personally, I like the flying geese and the stars in the inner border, but I think continuing the geese to the outside is somewhat busy. While it would change the size of the outer border, could you eliminate those? I think that would simplify things considerably. Otherwise, I think it is a fantastic quilt and your mother will love it!

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Comment

• Nadirehs227
      Nadirehs227 commented
      Editing a comment
      I will look at it! I will need something there to finish the edge, bit I can look at something simpler!

I think it is beautiful. If the layout doesn't feel right to you, and you desire a different balance, maybe make one side a row going down of the churn and dash squares, and sit the animals by the flowers. The flying geese I think are what makes it so colorful. As a mom I would like it just the way you laid it out. It looks busy but that is what you have been , busy making something beautiful.

Comment

• Nadirehs227
      Nadirehs227 commented
      Editing a comment
      I will play with it and see what I come up with!

The more I look at your quilt the more incredible it seems to me and you have done a fantastic job, the flying geese are beautiful and so perfect, my only opinion is the horse I think that in the center I would like more but you have to decide and I congratulate you on your great job

Comment

I love your quilt. I'm huge on a thin setting border..in say green or brown...2 " then I would pick a solid outer border to tie it all ..like a white on white 5". That's my opinion. I would keep the busy in the middle ..it's beautiful work!!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree Rachel. Thin setting boarder in one of the quilt colours and then a thick outer border in white or light. Tone on tone or broadcloth. Something simple.

• Nadirehs227
        Nadirehs227 commented
        Editing a comment
        I usually do, it was just getting so big! Quilt sizes are always bigger than they sound.

I think I would take the burgundy dot fabric and insert a solid strip where the geese are in the corners, it's beautiful, just the geese are a little distracting extending on the sides, ultimately, it's what pleases you that matters, I doubt that your mom will be thinking anything about your layout. She'll be pleased to say the least!
      Kathryn
      There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Wow. You did a fabulous job on pulling together the patchwork blocks with the images. I like the stars and geese.

Comment

Beautiful quilt!! Your animal units are amazing. Well done! Yes...she will love this quilt no matter what you decide. I love your outer border and wouldn't want you to lose it. If still possible, maybe a solid burgundy or other colour inside border between the middle block and the geese? Just to break up some of that busyness. Then the same fabric as a skinny border around the whole thing before a wide white border, like momofmonsters5 said. Love this quilt no matter what you decide...even of you leave it as is! Your mom is very lucky to get it!!
          Last edited by Hillbillyhike; September 28, 2020, 06:28 AM.
          Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Your quilt is beautiful. I suggest playing with layout and take sure pictures of different ones.

A few thoughts for you that might work.

Move the small horse to the right side. He will be looking into the center focus block of horses. Try the block in either the current churn dash or kitty block position.

Replace the cornerstones in the FG rows with more FG. The cornerstones are "stopping" the FG. The dark fabric against dark FG look like house shapes and loose the FG continuity.

Make one more block to match the 3 outside corners. The new block goes in the outside lower left. The other option is to switch lower left block and upper right block positions. They will form an "L" shape in the layout.

Switch the two lower outside blocks. The star points will read into each other like the two at the top row. Row now they are laying opposite of the top row. it looks like the (current) lower block just needs the same 4 patch blocks in each corner to make the same. Do you have fabric to make them?

These are only suggestions if you want to play with some options. Hope that helps!

FG and churn dash.jpg

Comment

• Nadirehs227
              Nadirehs227 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! I originally planned to do hour glasses as the FG cornerstones, but by the time I got there, I didn't know if it was too chaotic. The 4 corners are actually the same, the lower left just has light squares laid on top of the 4 squares to see if I like that more. I didn't know if simplifying the corners would make the FG pop more

This quilt is so beautiful! All I can say is wow!!

Comment

I don't kniw, I think some kind of dark solid border would pull it all together. Your blocks are wonderful and you have obviously put a lot of work into it already. The animal blocks are pretty amazing. I am sure your Mom will love it no matter what you do. Let us know what you decide!

Comment

Working...
              X