Fabric with no selvage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric with no selvage

I'm trying to square up a buffalo check fabric for a quilt back. It has no selvage. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this? How unusual is it to receive fabric without a selvage? It was advertised has 100% cotton for craft, curtain and home decor. It is just slightly heavier and a different weave than the cotton I used on the quilt front.

Is the plaid woven or printed? And all fabric has a selvage, even if it isn't an obvious one, unless someone removed it.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

That's interesting. I have come across fabrics that look like they don't have a selvage. It just means it wasn't reinforced in the manufacturing. Why can't you square it up? To remember, selvage length or direction doesn't stretch as much as it does the width, if that's what you mean?
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Many fabrics have no written selvage edge. It can be just a slight difference in the weaving along the edges.

I would use a large square up ruler for trimming. If the pattern isn't on the line, you can use a light spray to dampen and pull into shape.

Tips here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcpzwJMVTbc

Another tip to help straighten the fabric. I don't tear fabric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs9hYwryLSE

Comment

I was going to say tear it. If I have a difficult fabric I cut a slit about 1/2 inch from the edge then tear. It will tear straight. Then I trim the frayed edge. When working with large pieces of fabric I find this the fastest.

Comment

I tear fabric, but then I cut the ruffly part off, maybe 3/8''.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thank you all for your tips. I'm quite sure the selvage was removed. The whole piece was cut wonky. Since its a plaid I'm just going to use the lines of the plaid to square it up with a large square ruler.

Comment

Working...
              X