Pressing geese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressing geese

I promise that no geese were harmed in the making of this question.

What is the best way to press flying geese? I was doing some research and one person recommended open seams. I tried that, and I have to say it definitely lays much flatter, but I'm wondering what people here have done? What I've been doing is pressing the seams of the geese open and then pressing the seam when I join them downward toward the next goose.

Thanks!

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

I have only made them once in a class and she taught to press them open 😁
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I usually press them to the side and towards the outside edge. Since I am a hq I would quilt a qtr inch inside the FG and want to keep seam allowances out of my way if I can. Sometimes it's not the flatness guiding your choice but what will make your quilting easier. Think ahead!

Comment

Depends on how many are in my project ...pressing open takes more time. If theres alot I press to one side if a few I may take the time to press open. Lol its an iron finger war when pressing open!

Comment

• auntstuff
          auntstuff commented
          Editing a comment
          I finger press the seams open as I make them, then stack them seam side down til I'm ready to press the lot. I can press 36 in about 3 minutes.

• Momofmonsters5
          Momofmonsters5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Great tip, thanks!!

Most of the time I press mine open but I just pieced this strip of geese today. The base of them is 1”. I decided these tiny ones are too much work for what I had in mind. This was my sample.... 63A1A016-679D-40C6-9C41-3EEEE561233E.jpeg
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have made about 300 of them in the past couple months, and I press them all open. Otherwise, the next stage gets pretty bulky in spots. Yes, flying geese and pinwheels in the same project
          TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• jjkaiser
            jjkaiser commented
            Editing a comment
            300 wow that is a lot!!! And I bet you don't use a special FG ruler either

• auntstuff
            auntstuff commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope, I'm poor and do it the old way.
        Working...
        X