Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invisible Thread

Hello!

I bought some Sulky polyester invisible thread for stitching in the ditch. Is this a good one? I read an article that used it. I've never used it before. Any advice in using it? I used white thread on my baby quilt and it shows where I've veered off a bit.

Thanks!
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Lots of people will tell you it is easier to stitch beside the ditch than actually in the ditch and if you veer off a bit is doesn’t look like a “mistake”. I find actually staying in the ditch to be challenging so tend to stick just beside it.
    Debbie

Comment

If your machine has a "stitch-in-the-ditch" foot, it does make the job easier. As for invisible thread, I've used it many times, mostly for FMQ. My machine is a Juki TL2010Q, and I found that I had to loosen the top tension quite a lot to handle invisible thread.

Let us know how you make out.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I don't like to mess with my tension if I can help it. I'll see if I can get that foot.

Did you see the helpful hints page?

https://www.sulky.com/catalog/sub/th...ter/invisible/

You may need a thread stand. It helps prevent kinks if there is some distance as the thread un-winds.

More fun stuff here.

https://www.superiorthreads.com/

PS: I don't mess with tension settings either.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Rhonda! That was very helpful. The Superior micro thread sounds interesting. Have you had any experience with it?

My MIL was a fabulous quilter who even had her own quilt shop. She used invisible thread all the time and I just don't understand why you would use that at all. Why hide all your stitches and all your work? I am a hand quilter so I figured this is just a thing machine quilters do? Also just a side note, many of my MIL's quilts are starting to disintegrate along the stitching where she used invisible thread, those quilts are only 15-20 years old. They might make higher quality thread now but I would not use it especially for that reason. I have seen the damage and it is impossible to repair bc it is the whole quilt.

Comment

• Patricia Drew
        Patricia Drew commented
        Editing a comment
        The invisible threads on the market now are very different from the ones available 15-20 years ago. I have some from about 20 years ago, and it's quite stiff. A different feel altogether from the modern invisible thread. I remember using invisible thread on a white and red quilt. I didn't like red thread on the white parts, I didn't like white thread on the red parts, and I didn't want to be changing threads as I quilted along. So I opted for invisible thread.

I haven't checked their micro thread. I have used Floriani micro thread on the embroidery machine for lettering.

This is my new favorite thread. I use it for piecing, quilting, and bobbin thread. If I match the background fabric color, it settles right in. I use the color called "pearl" and it works with lots of fabrics.

https://www.sewforless.com/category/...r_Spools/c1485

I ordered the thread color chart and keep track of the colors I have to use.

Comment

Superior Threads carries a micro thread, 100 wt., I think. Many professional LAers use it for SITD. I have never used any Sulky threads or used invisible thread.

Comment

invisible thread tips

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! I will check this out when I get a chance.
        Working...
        X