• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hillbillyhike
    Missouri Star
    • Sep 2020

Quilting Beyond Stitch in the Ditch

Hello!

Since I have made the decision not to use a long armer (for my small quilts anyways) I'm wondering what you all think are some good ways to quilt besides just stitch in the ditch. I am not experienced enough at free motion yet. So far I have done stitch in the ditch, quarter inch, cross hatch and lines. Are there any that can be done without straight lines? I saw the serpentine video. I will try that. Any others?

Thank you!
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁
  • srgreene
    Missouri Star
    • Aug 2020

Morning. My quilting space is small and I prefer piecing to quilting so I've only done a couple of home machine quilting. I used Quilting Made Easy design rolls because it was simple and easy to follow. Otherwise, stitch in the ditch or cross hatch seems like a lot of folks use stencils good sewing, Sandy

Comment

• JCY
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2013

Check that out on line. There are many things one can do with the walking foot. When you feel like venturing out, get the foot for your DSM that will allow you to do FMQ.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Joy. I have that foot and have done a bit of practice. I'm just not good at it yet. I will check out online.
    • Spiff
      Missouri Star
      • Oct 2013

My go to is just a wavy line from top to bottom. This table runner gives you any idea what I am talking about. Very forgiving as you just kind of move the fabric slowly.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Debbie

Comment

• JulieC
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2016

I did this triangle design with my walking foot. It is from a book called Walk, by Jacquie Gering. https://www.amazon.com/WALK-Master-M...s=books&sr=1-2. I saw she has a second book out, too. It was fine for a small project, but I don't think I would have the patience to do it on a large one.

DSCN0566.jpg

Comment

• minipinlady
          minipinlady commented
          Editing a comment
          I really like this Happy Birthday wall hanging. It is so sweet and cheerful .

• redcaboose1717
          redcaboose1717 commented
          Editing a comment
          Julie, this is sooo cute!!! Thanks for sharing this.
          To those of you who are NEW to MSQC Jenny did a Quilt Tutorial awhile back on a larger quilt with the same idea. It's called the "Present Quilt"

Enjoy!
      • Hulamoon
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2012

Instead of free motion you could get to know how to use your walking foot. Leah Day has an excellent series on using one..

https://www.pinterest.com/leahdayfmq...-walking-foot/

A quilting bar is helpful too

qbf.jpg
        Last edited by Hulamoon; September 25, 2020, 11:58 AM.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• redcaboose1717
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2011

What about tying your quilts? Jordan Fabrics Donna has a video on YouTube showing how to do this. I actually have done this with two twin size quilts I plan to give to my youngest granddaughters for Christmas this year.

Here's the video Donna did on how to Tie Quilts :
          Last edited by redcaboose1717; September 25, 2020, 10:57 AM.
          Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
          http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• redcaboose1717
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
            My go to is just a wavy line from top to bottom. This table runner gives you any idea what I am talking about. Very forgiving as you just kind of move the fabric slowly.
            This is cute! Thanks for sharing!
            lionus & blanket .jpg
            Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
            http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• Claire Hallman
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2011

My favorite from straight line quilting is a diagonal line about 2 inches apart going on both diagonals [tape is a help staying straight]. It is fairly easy to do a large continuous curve with a walking foot.
              Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• Maria Sews
                Missouri Star
                • May 2017

I also like straight line quilting on the diagonal when I'm not using my embroidery machine to quilt.
                Maria
                From Sunny Alberta, Canada

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
                  Missouri Star
                  • Mar 2012

I free motion, I don't have patience for a lot of straight line quilting. I feel its faster to do squiggles. Good luck!!
                  i did flowers and leaves on one...it was easier than I thought. I doodled on paper first go get the path and motions habit.

Comment

• Mdtrimble
                    Binding Belle
                    • Apr 2020

BC00846D-0723-445B-9C65-422FA3C1FA8A.jpeg I agree with Momofmonsters5 - I fmq, and much prefer curves to straight lines. I feel they are much more forgiving to occasional wobbles. Start with quilt sandwiches, and try out several designs. Find a few that work for you, and go for it. Another option that I use often is stencils - I use ultra-washable crayola markers, and even more involved patterns become doable. As long as you can put your feed dogs down, you can fmq. I’d also recommend a darning foot, and a straight stitch plate.

here are some examples of the quilting I’ve done, and I only really started about a year ago. 6FAF27A4-17BD-4242-983A-69032F346E68.jpeg
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                      Hillbillyhike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Those are beautiful!! Nice job! Thanks for the tips.
                  • shermur
                    Missouri Star
                    • Mar 2013

filedata/fetch?id=1930065&d=1586391071&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=1930066&d=1601371449&type=thumb
                    I did this wall hanging with a walking foot. Of Course I had to mark the quilt. The hexagons, I used a template and the "kites" were marked using the points of the design. I have used my walking foot for most of my quilts in recent years; watch Jacquie Gering....she is a master at walking foot quilting.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 2 photos.
                    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                      Hillbillyhike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's beautiful!! Even the back is gorgeous! I never thought about using quilting rulers amd templates for marking quilting patterns. That's brilliant. Thank you!! All of a sudden I have confidence to actually quilt. Thanks Sherri!!

• shermur
                      shermur commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You are so welcome, Heike.....Another quilter to watch is Angela Walters. She does a Dot To Dot quilting method you should try. Keep up your confidence and with a little innovation, you will be quilting your own creations. Let the quilt top "speak" to you and remember....it doesn't have to be perfect as you're learning!

• Hillbillyhike
                      Hillbillyhike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Sherri! I will check them out when I get a chance.
                  • osewme
                    Missouri Star
                    • Aug 2015

I have a couple of quilting stencils that I sometimes use. I just mark the pattern on the quilt & then free motion along the lines using my walking foot. Sometimes I've used the stencils in some of the blocks & finished with something like stitch in the ditch. The stenciled blocks add a little pizazz to the otherwise plain SITD quilting.
                    Here's a link to some stencils. I've never ordered from this company before.
                    Texas

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                      Hillbillyhike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! I will check those out. You do FMQ with a walking foot?? Just slowly and lots of turning?
                  • osewme
                    Missouri Star
                    • Aug 2015

Yes, with a walking foot. I find it easier & I do go very slowly. Seems like I'm to jittery when I use a FM quilting foot. I need lots of practice.
                    Texas

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                      Hillbillyhike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think everyone starting out does...it's hard!
                  Working...
                  X