Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best thread for Stitching in the Ditch

Hello!
    I will be stitching in the ditch and am wondering what your choice of thread is for that. I used polyester white last time, but I just bought some clear polyester Sulky. Not sure if it's worth trying.

Thanks!
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

I like a 100wt thread. I have some from Invisafil and some from Superior. They both work equally well, no preference of one over the other. Could probably also use 60wt Bottom Line by Superior

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you use white or clear?

I just use whatever color I think is least likely to show. I have a light gray from Superior that tends to be my go-to thread as it works well with pretty much anything but really dark colors. I generally only use clear with appliqué and even then generally prefer to use the gray.
    Debbie

Comment

I use whatever goes best with the quilt. 40 or 50 wt cotton, polyester machine sewing sewing thread, or, if it looks best, I've even used polyester machine embroidery thread. The only type I haven't used for stitch in the ditch is clear or smoke monofilament thread.
      Maria

Comment

Karen Brown of Just Get It Done Quilts had a podcast recently with a thread expert. She recommended very lightweight thread for SID, and a neutral color that shows as little as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc7pcttfs6w

Comment

40 years ago, I was taught that stitching IN the ditch puts double stress on the stitching for piecing, and that it actually meant to FOLLOW the ditch 1/4 inch out. You aren't holding much if you do your quilting on just your stitches.
          TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            That makes a lot of sense. Thanks auntstuff!

• Vonnie
            Vonnie commented
            Editing a comment
            That's especially true if the seams are pressed open.

Even tho I have a longarm, sometimes I will quilt baby quilts on my sewing machine. I like to audition the thread colors to see which looks best. Then I use the Serpentine stitch (wavy stitch - not zigzag). I stitch over the seams that way it does not matter which way the seam is pressed. I especially like to do this when I know the quilt will be washed a lot.
          Vonnie

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            I like this idea a lot!
        Working...
        X