Stencils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stencils

Good afternoon. Could you please tell me the best way to mark out stencils onto fabric. Also can you advice me on what is the best chalk I should use. Thank you julia

Sorry, I'm no help, because I don't use stencils. When I first started to quilt, I used them on practice sandwiches, not quilts, so I used a pen that didn't matter if it erased. I've never used any of the chalk products. I'm sure there will be others who can give advice. I didn't check, but there might be something on YouTube.

Comment

I seldom use stencils but when I do I use the Crayola washable pens. I find that they leave crisp lines and always wash out. If in doubt, test a piece of fabric first. I do not use chalk so no help there.
      Last edited by Granny Fran; September 23, 2020, 12:06 PM.
      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
      Aesop

Comment

• auntstuff
        auntstuff commented
        Editing a comment
        Another vote for the Crayola, and I use stencils a LOT! Make sure it is the Crayola Ultra-washble ones.

chalk or pens, test on fabrics first.

Comment

Auntstuff got me hooked on Crayola Washable markers and they are great, always come out even if they are on your quilt a long time, for me that was 8-9 months. None of them show up on really dark colors like navy and black so for that I either use Fons & Porter white ceramic pencil (I think from JA) or white or silver chalk pencil called The Generals Chalk Pencil from fqs.

Comment

I vote for the Crayola Ultra washables as well. I use stencils all the time, and unless I’m quilting on a solid, I find the chalk too difficult to follow (it gets lost in the design). Sometimes the marks stay after the first wash, but if I use a non-chlorine “bleach” it comes right out the first time. I love Molly’s suds for that - it doesn’t fade the colors, but gets all the marker ink out.

Comment

• jjkaiser
            jjkaiser commented
            Editing a comment
            What is Molly's suds and where do you buy it?

• auntstuff
            auntstuff commented
            Editing a comment
            A cold soak with no detergent, spin it out then was as usual will get it all out. Soap seems to set it a bit if too strong.

• Mdtrimble
            Mdtrimble commented
            Editing a comment
            “ What is Molly's suds and where do you buy it?”

Molly’s suds is an “oxygen whitener” - essentially sodium carbonate (NOT bicarbonate) with fragrance, if you are into the whole chemical thing. I order lots of my cleaning supplies from Grove Cooperative, but I’m sure you could search it up online and find other suppliers.

I like the purple air erasable pen for marking stencils. But just mark what you can quilt at one time rather than marking the whole quilt.
          Lori Kennedy just did a review of different marking pens. https://lorikennedyquilts.com/the-be...hine-quilting/

Comment

just avoid yellow in any kind of marker. it always seems to cause trouble.

Comment

Working...
            X