First Quilt Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Quilt Question

Good Morning. I'm expecting my first grandchild soon and decided to make her a baby quilt. Since it's my first quilt I'm playing it safe and making a strip quilt. I cut all the strips, in varying widths, to the lengths of the fabric. All the fabric was not the same length so the strips are different lengths. I just thought I'd trim it all up later. Well I've pieced about 5 strips together so far and now I'm wondering if I should trim the strips to all the same length before I sew them together? If I trim it later I'll be cutting into the stitches holding the whole thing together, right? Instead of cutting all the strips now could I wait until it's pieced and then run a straight stitch down each side at the correct width and then trim it? One more question. Am I crazy to try and machine quilt it myself? It is small, but it is my first quilt. Thanks for any and all advice!

Yes, you can stitch them all together first and then trim. Quilting usually uses a smaller stitch than dress making. This will keep it from coming apart as you work. Do a stitch around perimeter after trimming within the 1/4 inch seam of the final binding so it will not show. Try to have one side of the strips line up evenly so you don’t have to trim too much off both sides. You will have to trim some off this side but not as much as the other. As it’s your first quilt you sure can quilt it doing a simple cross hatch or just following each seam

Comment

• sewUK
      sewUK commented
      Editing a comment
      I've done a cross hatch on a couple because I'm useless with FMQ. If it's a simple straightforward piece I think you can get a good result from cross hatching. You'll get lots of help here (I have) so welcome.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the grandbaby!

One thing I would add. Sew your strips in sets and press carefully as to not stretch them. I wouldn't put more than 5 in a set to keep them from bowing too much. Once you get the sets sewn and pressed, stitch the sets together. Then trim.

A modern look for your quilting you could just do a wavy line in the middle of your strips, or a decorative stitch that would go on either side of the seam line.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

One more thing, lol. Sew your strips in opposite directions other wise, it will start bowing. It happens on long ones especially.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota! Your first grandbaby, how exciting. I have nothing to add to what the others have said. You will find lots of helpful hints and tips from this forum.
        Carlie

Comment

Howdy from Texas & congrats on the new grandbaby!

Yes, you can quilt it on your own machine. I like the idea of the wavy stitch through the strips. That's called the serpentine stitch & is a basic decorative stitch on a lot of domestic sewing machines. It looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seuxXBVcZxw

Comment

when you get ready to trim them, mark your cutting line using a ruler. then do a stitch just inside that and trim. stitches will be within your seam when you finish your quilt. have fun!

Comment

When sewing strips, it's often recommended to use a 2.0 stitch length. Be sure to use a consistent scant 1/4" seam. Are you just sewing strips together or sewing them on to a paper backing? Congrats. on the new gr. child & welcome to the Forum from Colorado.

Comment

• CeeGee15
                CeeGee15 commented
                Editing a comment
                I've just finished piecing it all together and I used a 1.5 stitch. Why is it recommended to use a 2.0? I just sewed the strips together , no paper backing. I'm new to this so can you tell me what paper backing would be for?

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

• MSN
                MSN commented
                Editing a comment
                1.5 is a nice, tiny stitch length. Your strips should hold together well.

Paper piecing (backing of a block) is used for many strip blocks, or for blocks that require many small pieces of fabric. Most sewing machines are automatically set to a 2.5 stitch, which is what many quilters use to piece. The smaller 2.0 stitch is recommended when paper piecing. It's easier to remove the paper without distorting the fabric or pulling out the stitches.

Comment

Welcome from BC! Congratulations and good luck on your first quilt! Lots of great people to learn from here.
                Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Working...
                X