Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rulers...wow..so many to choose from!!

Hello!

I am looking in the M* shop at rulers. Who knew there were so many!! Which ones do you think are must haves and which ones could I do without? I have a few, but sometimes they aren't as easy to use. There's also different brands, What's the difference? M* has yellow-greenish ones. Is there an advantage that colour?

I started on my Seeds of Gratitude quilt today and realized I don't have a good ruler to cut half square triangles in half, nor do I have a little square or an in -between a 1 x 12 and a 6x 24" (it gets to big at times and I can't get good pressure and grip on the skinny. I have an 8" bias square, a hexi, a 45 diamond and a 60 diamond. Pictured are a couple of ones I got years ago when I first learned to quilt. Are they accurate and how do I use them, or are there better ones out there now?

Thank you!!

16006594391715281285905256664543.jpg
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! ๐Ÿ˜

There are so many! My 17 year old just started quilting and these are what I want her to have! 6 x 12 I really like this one it's my used. 6 X 24. I use omnigrid. I really find the easy angle ruler useful. I like M* ruler but I do have the sticky stuff to apply to the back. Those are the three essential I yhink she should have..when her skills grow i think she'll pick up others! Oh I forgot 6 x 1.
    Last edited by Momofmonsters5; September 21, 2020, 12:26 AM.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I will check that out! My 8" bias square was so hard to work with on the pinwheels last night. It's so slippy! I need something for under it. It didn't help that I was cutting pinwheels. It did help as well. I figured out how to use it to get my HSTs cut in half!

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      https://www.amazon.com/Omnigrid-2101...66390624&psc=1

It's called invigrip. Great to have on hand!!

• TMP
      TMP commented
      Editing a comment
      My long arm shop sells packages of small plastic circles that have a hole in the middle of them , you peel them off and you stick them on the back of your ruler. They work so good and they are cheap.

I like my 6 x 12, my 8 x 2.5, and my 8.5 x 24. Those are the three I use the most. I have O'Lipfa finger guards on the 12" and 24" to protect my fingers!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Pat. I definitely want a 6 x 12 and I think a 6 x 2. A small square would be nice too. Mine is 8". Those guards are a smart idea!
      Last edited by Hillbillyhike; September 21, 2020, 01:51 AM.

I have a 4 X 8 that I find comes in very handy. Also a 2.5 X 6.5. I have several smaller squares of various sizes too. But, I have been quilting a long time and accumulated these over time. Colors vary by maker. A funny story: when I took a new quilter to a quilt show for the first time she said โ€œhow many rulers can they sell?โ€ What a surprise when she walked into an AQS show.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Those sound like good sizes. Thanks!

I like to use a square ruler with the diagonal line when trimming HST. With the HST opened, the diagonal line goes through the seam line and each side trimmed accordingly. It works better if the ruler is about 2 inches bigger than the square unit. Most of my rulers start with the one inch marks on one side. Flipped to the other side and it marked at 1/2 inch. Always pause and make sure you are on the one inch side in the top right corner of the ruler for square up.

For strip cutting, I like the 6.5 x 25.5 ruler and like to have over lap the fabric. EX: If I'm cutting a 5 inch strip, I use the 6.5 inch wide ruler to overlap the fabric edge and not a 5 inch wide ruler. I want to see the fabric edge on a line and not the ruler edge.

The last time I used the triangle shaped ruler and trimmed the unit using the seam line, it was off a little.

I like creative grid rulers. Black and white lines so I can see them on any color fabric.

Be sure the fabric is "on" the line and not up to the line on the ruler.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Good tip...on the line. Thanks! I did use my square ruler last night and did that. It worked well. I have a 6 x 24 in ruler, which I like. Just need a couple of in between sizes.

I like fewer markings on My rulers. My brain gets over run and confused if there are too many markings. Omni grid for my square 6.5". my 6 .5 by 24 is Fiskar. I prefer clear not yellow. I use clear first aid tape on rulers and templates to stop the sliding.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Love that idea! I'm doing that!! Cheaper and flatter than buying grips. Thanks for that tip!!

• bubba
      bubba commented
      Editing a comment
      Several years ago, I bought a bottle of Ruler Magic from Off the Wall Quilts (they are online). You rub a couple drops on the backside of the rulers and it stops slipping. You can't see it's there at all once it's dry. If you want it off, you just wash the ruler. I put them on the back of my Westalee rulers and what a difference it made! If you have a problem with rulers slipping, I highly suggest this. I think it is $15 now, I paid $10, but you can't even tell I've even used mine!

I found the colored ones are not easy on my eyes. I am slowly replacing those yellowish ones with clear ones. The ones I keep out and use all the time are: 6 x 24, 6-1/2 x 12-1/2 (wish it was just 6 x 12) 9-1/2 square and a 12-1/2 square. And lately I have been using the simple folded corner one more and more. I do have those specialty shaped ones but unless a pattern calls for those shapes, they stayed put away.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mimi. I've never heard of the simple folded corner one.

We always use 8x24, 12 1/2x12 1/2, 6 1/2x6 1/2, and 4 1/2x4 1/2. We have several others, but those four are the ones that always seem to be out of the drawer where we store them.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Comment

I bought my 6 1/2 x 24'' ruler at Walmart when they had a good craft selection eons ago. That and the M* 5x15'' are always on my table.

https://www.checkerdist.com/products/882670141

For the HST I have the 6 1/2'' Bloc-Loc
      ๐ŸŒบ Lorie

Comment

I have a box full of rulers that I don't even use! Once I bought a Creative Grids ruler there was no going back for me. Markings so easy to read. I love them because two sides are marked at even numbers and two sides of every ruler are marked at half inch increments, and have grippy things on the back and never slip. My most used are 12.5 inch square, 6x24 for cutting folded yardage, and 6.5 inch square. The square rulers are great for squaring up. I have one bright yellow M ruler, I think 2.5 x8, good if you use a lot of precuts like I do, but it is more slippy than CG.

Now if you have the time go on the CG website, they have so MANY rulers you will not believe it but the cool thing is they made short two minute-ish videos demonstrating just about all of them (you have to pull the vids up one at a time, they are listed with each ruler). That way you can get exactly what you want and see how to use it. The rulers are kind of expensive but I would never buy any other brand now. Just buy one and you'll see how superior they are.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
          Hillbillyhike commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! The videos would be such a help.

• pcbatiks
          pcbatiks commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a few Creative Grid rulers and that it what I plan to stick with. Even the little 2.5" x 6" ruler comes in handy!

PS: I use the msqc 5x15 ruler to ruler fold left over fabrics. It's the perfect size for FQ or 1/2 yard pieces. They are folded into 5 inch squares and stored in a drawer.

Comment

• Hulamoon
          Hulamoon commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a good idea. I have a lot of odd small pieces and an empty drawer I could organize.

I probably use the Creative Grids 8 1/2" x 24 1/2" the most of all.
        Katrina
        โ€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.โ€ Maya Angelou

Comment

Is there an advantage to getting an extra half inch on the rulers? Mine are 6 not 6.5.
          Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! ๐Ÿ˜

Comment

• cjsews
            cjsews commented
            Editing a comment
            The advantage is that you are usually using this to square up a finished 6โ€ block. That means you need the extra 1/2โ€ for the outer seams

• bubba
            bubba commented
            Editing a comment
            I use the 8.5 x 24 the most.....I love that ruler!

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahhh, of course! Thanks!

When I started quilting, I was told the 2 essential rulers I'd need are the 12.5" square & the 6.5 x 24.5" rectangular one. My preference is Creative Grids for the clear see-through & for the non-skid back. Over the years, I've added others: all CGs, except for Jenny's lime green templates, of which I have several. I use my 6.5" square CG for many things. It works great for trimming HSTs & squaring up 6.5" blocks. When I planned to make a log cabin block, I bought the special ruler for it, but I ended up not using it. I preferred to cut with my CGs rulers. It's important to use the same rulers when working on a quilt for consistency. I also have the CGs 15.5" & the 16.5" square rulers which work well for larger blocks.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            Same rulers meaning same brand?

My favorite creative grids ruler is a 2.5 inch wide 36 inches long yard stick. I use this every time I cut out a quilt . Perfect for getting that first straight cut. Its the best ruler purchase I ever made. I am sorry I am of no help with rulers you have.
          Last edited by TMP; September 21, 2020, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            I've never seen that one. Interesting!
        Working...
        X