Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a pattern for first time!

Happy Saturday!

As I wait for hubby to get up (he's sleeping in today) I am happily looking at my first fat quarter bundle that arrived from MSQC! It's Seeds of Gratitude, a Susan Winget (who I love!), Wilmington Fabrics. I have downloaded the attached digital pattern. This is my first time using a pattern and frankly my head can't seem to "Math" as well without proper sleep or coffee, which I can no longer have due to extreme GERD. I miss my weekend cappuccino!! 😩

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/vendor-patterns/788

I am going to make a wallhanging instead, since I don't want to piece the borders. I like the quilt as is. I'll just make it smaller so that the borders are the length of the fat quarters. That should work, right?

I want to construct the pinwheels the same way as I learned from Jenny. Two squares sewn together around the perimeter and cut diagonally apart to make 4 HSTs. The pinwheel unit should end up being 4.5" unfinished (not joined?) Am I correct in that I need to start with 6" squares then? The pattern has me making HSTs one by one and I'd rather not do that. I think it's quicker, easier and more accurate to do it Jenny's way.

Thanks!
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

I think the 6 inch will be too small. I looked it up online and the formula shows an unfinished 4 inch block starts with a 6.25 inch square if you are cutting 4 hst. It shows 8 inch square for 5 inch unfinished. The formula they give shows you would start with a 7.03 inch square. My recommendation would be to start at 8 inches and trim up to what you would need. I am not as experienced with this so hopefully someone else will comment too.
    Carlie

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a great idea Carlie! Better safe than sorry that way. I can also experiment on scrap first before cutting my expensive and precious fabric.

If you ever get a chance..there are a million tools out the but one I love is the easy angle ruler. Its a great no waste for HST. Lol I'm no help on math this morning..I'll need coffee first. It's only 9am here and I'm still waking up lol.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Rachel! I will check it out.

That is a beautiful collection and table runner. Make a sample from some scrap fabric first to check the sizes. There is also a way to spin the middle seam where the four blocks come together. It will help prevent bulk in the block.

There are some charts available to help also. I tried to link one here and couldn't make it work right. Good luck!

Comment

I just re-watched Jenny's tutorial. She starts with 5" squares and ends up with 5" units, by trimming the HST units. It's all coming back to me in my morning haze lol. So...if I trim them the HSTs to 2.5 instead of 2.75 I should end up with the 4.5 pinwheel unit.

Comment

Susan Winget is one of the first class of parents at Amay James Montessori. She always donated items for Teacher Appreciation Week and the holidays. I still cherish some of the notepads that we received. Such a talented young mother and brilliant artist.
        Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
          Hillbillyhike commented
          Editing a comment
          So neat that you know her and that she is a lovely person! The ladies in my family all love her art. We've had a few things over the years with her art on it, including jigsaw puzzles. I should have enough scraps to make something for my MIL and SIL.

Good luck with the conversion. I'm working on a traditional pattern now for the first time in a long time. I found I was completing too many quilts with nowhere in particular to send them. So I'm doing traditional to slow myself down. Now that I'm retired, time is available. Money is tighter. Hope to see a picture as you progress.

Comment

The conversion seemed fine, but I didn't get yardage and now don't have fabric for the borders. The yardage I need is sold out. So....I'm trying to think of a plan B. I don't want joined borders. Maybe ok if pieced?? I could leave borders off I guess. Scaling down the blocks would make a very small hanging. Maybe a different patter. I don't know,. Decisions for this kind of stuff are hard for me, lol. Thoughts?

Comment

Wonderful you figured it all out!
            Here’s a chart for future reference:

https://www.generations-quilt-patter...angle-t4-8.pdf

I have another I use, but can’t seem to find it right now.....hope this helps!
            💫 Star lover

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Star Lover! That chart is so helpful.

I'm not sure which fabric you need. You may be able to find it here. You can add your email if the item is out of stock.

https://www.fabric.com/collection/wi...s-of-gratitude

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Rhonda! They didn't have the one I wanted but a couple that would work.
          Working...
          X