Ready for binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready for binding

Silly question??? When you trim away your batting and backing do you cut exactly along the line of the top or leave just the tiniest margin beyond the top for a firmer edge still keeping to the 1/4" on the top piece. I do double binding so maybe that's enough. Think I'm over-thinking🤔

I cut my batting about 1/4" beyond the top to give a bit of bulk within the binding.
    ~ Carol from PA

Comment

• sewUK
      sewUK commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I was thinking but do you cut your binding wider than 'normal' ?

• Dove
      Dove commented
      Editing a comment
      I start with 2 1/2", folded in half, for the binding. Attach binding to front, then cut batting and backing 1/4" past edge of top. Fold the binding to the back and sew in place.

You'll get different answers to this one. Partly due to different descriptions, and also different methods to the same result. Some use 2 1/2, and others use 2 1/4, etc.

Personally I trim them even because it's less fiddley. I like a full binding, and also a little wider exposed on the front. Using 2 1/2 inch folded and pressed. I stitch it at 3/8. This fills nicely.

You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

I'm not quite sure if I understand the question. After the sandwich is quilted, I trim the batting off right at the edge of the quilt. Otherwise, you risk having batting show through when you sew on the binding. I don't understand why you'd want to leave a 1/4" of extra batting showing along the edges, unless you're planning to sew a 1/2" seam, rather than a 1/4" when you sew on the binding. I use 2.5" binding strips.

Comment

Like Joy, I also trim my backing and batting to the edge of the quilt.
        Carlie

Comment

I have always trimmed to the edge of the quilt, but I sometimes wish I had wider binding. It makes sense to me to leave the extra batting and backing for that purpose. Would it not work well? I use French binding so the extra fabric layers should hide batting colour.
          Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I've thought of that but then my blocks and pieces won't be square and even.

• oldmanquilts
            oldmanquilts commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what borders are for.

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            That makes sense. I'm not big on borders for certain things, but if I want a wider binding that's a good idea. Thanks!

I leave a 1/4 of an inch. Honestly most of my quilts have borders so when I trim I'm squaring with the border width. I use 2 1/2 binding unless it's coasters or mug rugs then i use 2 1/4.

Comment

Does anyone combine the border and binding or bring the backing to the front to create the binding?

Comment

• Granny Fran
              Granny Fran commented
              Editing a comment
              I have done this on several quilts. Just depends on the use it gets. If it wears out you can always french bind to repair.

• Momofmonsters5
              Momofmonsters5 commented
              Editing a comment
              I was taught to do it separate. I have a friend that brings it from the back. I never struggled with bindings so I never changed ways.

• Dove
              Dove commented
              Editing a comment
              I sometimes bring the backing to the front for binding. It depends on the quilt. Usually I make the binding strips. Also, sometimes the backing fabric just doesn't look right against the border on the quilt top.

Thanks Fran!

Comment

I trim to the edge of the quilt, cut a 2 1/4" binding, sew onto the front with a 1/4" seam, roll to back and hand stitch. Sewing the binding is my favourite part of making the quilt.
              Maria

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                Hillbillyhike commented
                Editing a comment
                That's what I've been doing. Hand stitching the binding favourite partbas well.

I trim to the edge of the quilt. I use a scissors and cut both layers at the same time. I think it would be hard to try to roll the batting out of the way and cut it separately trying to keep an even 1/4 inch wider than the quilt edge. I also do double fold cut at 2.5 inches. I admit I am set in my ways and like to do some things the same way all the time.

Comment

I leave a 1/4" beyond the fabric. I do a double binding and find the extra batting fills the binding in firmly for a nicer look in my opinion.
                If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Working...
                X