Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Starch?

Good morning!

I have been reading on here that many members use spray starch when quilting. I have not heard of this before. Could you please tell me the benefits of using it and how you use it? Pros and cons? Why you don't use it?

Thanks!
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Don't know, never use it. Never saw any need for it.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

I do a lot of pressing and I use Best Press to help remove stubborn wrinkles but I don’t starch. Those who do say it makes their work more accurate because it stabilizes the fabric for more precise cutting and sewing. I can see where it would help when making intricate designs and wit bias edges.
      Last edited by Bubby; September 16, 2020, 08:33 AM.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Barb. What's Best Press and when do you use it?

I starch my fabric before cutting if I will have bias seams.

Comment

Kimberly at the FQS has some good youtubes on how to starch and gives reasons why she does.

I use Best Press mostly.
        Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
          Hillbillyhike commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Katrina. I will check them out.

I’ve never used starch or any other products I’ve seen mentioned by other quilters. Personally I believe if you use a ‘good’ quality fabric there is no need for starch. When I use a fabric from my stash that is wrinkled I just put a small amount of water on it to help press out the wrinkle.
        i washed the fabric first to remove chemicals. I don’t want to
        Spray products on my fabric adding chemicals to my quilt top.

Comment

Like Barb, I use the Best Press for removing wrinkles, esp. that center fold. I press my fabrics prior to cutting. I use the spray starch on the finished quilt top & the backing & press just prior to sandwiching & pin basting the quilt. I think the starch gives it more stability. If the fabrics are darker colors, I spray starch the backs, rather than the front so it won't leave any residue.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Joy. Some of those wrinkles can definitely be stubborn and I can see how that can throw off measuring. I had trouble squaring up a couple of my blocks as they wouldn't lie flat easily...even after pressing.

I use Best Press as well for those stubborn wrinkles. I never thought of starching the quilt top & backing before sandwiching. I just may do that, may eliminate some of the frustration when I layer. Thanks for that tip, Joy.
          Carlie

Comment

I use starch, the kind that doesn't leave residue. I think best press is over priced, the only reason I dont use it. I always have it due to ironing Daniels shirts. I use it for stubborn wrinkles. I have a variety of quality fabrics as well in my stash. I don't use steam due to hard water. I just find it convenient especially when I have to turn over seams. I do more than quilt, I use it more for craft and clothing projects. For quilting I use it for wrinkles because it's there.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Rachel. What does hard water do to the fabric? We have hard water and I always use steam to get the wrinkles out. Maybe that's why the marks on my fabric?

• JCY
              JCY commented
              Editing a comment
              Best Press ~ I shopped on line until I found the most reasonable price for a gal. I just refill my smaller bottles as needed. It's more economical to buy the larger quantity. I think I ordered it from Walmart. It shipped directly to my house. It lasts a long time.

I use the Faultless Spray Starch just on the finished top & backing before sandwiching. The fabrics seem more manageable to me.

• Momofmonsters5
              Momofmonsters5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes hard water can cause the iron to spit and build up a residue that marks up fabric. I used to steam but then i moved to Germany and its not as easy to get distilled water there. So I switched to starch. Good tip Joy, Daniel is a hard sell on some things and spending the extra is a no go when starch works. Lol

"What does hard water do to the fabric? We have hard water and I always use steam to get the wrinkles out. Maybe that's why the marks on my fabric?"

This might depend on your iron.. I have one that states any tap water can be used. You might want to keep some bottled water just for your iron around just to be sure.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Lori. When I cleaned it I made distilled water. I was thinking of making more to keep on hand for the iron. Maybe i'll do that today. I will likely try the starch and best press as well. I'll need to order some.

I use starch to stabilize the fabrics prior to cutting. This is the best option we have for insuring all fabrics behave the same even if they are different weights. Start with everything as flat and stable as possible just makes life easier, and is your best chance of the top being flat and accurately sized after being sewed. It also eliminates any easing in when sewing two pieces of different weights and drape, and stretch.

Think of it as cutting and handling toilet paper joined to copy paper. We need a better way to starch toilet paper.
            You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha! Thanks. I am a visual person amd this made perfect sense, lol. What is easing in?

• oldmanquilts
              oldmanquilts commented
              Editing a comment
              Easing in, is sewing one piece to fit up to another. Even with accurately cut pieces this is sometimes necessary when joining two fabrics of different weights, etc.The limp one will move around, and no matter how hard you try the top piece will grow some. Starch helps with this.

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Ahhh..ok. I do that just didn't know it was called that. I thought it was something new lol.

I starch (best press) fabric before cutting. Sometimes, I even starch and press again to add a little stiffness to the fabric. I will add a light spray on the back of the block after pressing seams. It helps keep the seams in the right direction. I also purchase it in the gallon and fill the smaller bottles.

I don't use steam from the iron as I found it can distort the block. Careful pressing of strips keeps them straight. I set the seam first, finger press in the needed direction, and then press with the iron.

You can "iron" the fabric yardage but you should "press" seams, blocks, strips, etc.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Ronda! All good advice that I'm going to try.

I have had the same bottle of Best Press for two years and only use it when trying to get fold lines out of yardage. I press blocks as I go and row seams as I go but I never press my entire top before sandwiching, just smooth it by hand. So I guess I am not a starcher. My dh used to wear a white dress shirt to work every day and I starched them.

Comment

I starch the heck out of everything before I even start a quilt! I starch before I cut, I starch more as I piece, I starch again as I’m joining rows and I starch again as I’m pressing the completed top. Starch gives fabric stability, especially if you are working with bias edges; it helps me produce a better end product. When I’m done with a top, if I don’t get it on my longarm right away I fold it and put it away. When I am ready to quilt it, because it was already starched there is no need to press again, it’s still nice, flat and wrinkle free.
              At the end the of the to each his own, this is what works for me.

EDITED: I’m currently working on a quilt that has several of these blocks, I can’t imagine piecing without starch and the stability it provides. And yes I do go through a LOT of starch, but the cost of starch is negligible, compared to the cost of fabric and I consider it a must have when quilting. I use Non aerosol Niagra or Staflo by the gallon diluted down, depends on what I can find.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by classynsassy; September 20, 2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                Hillbillyhike commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. Wow! That's a lot of starch. What kind of starch do you use?

• jjkaiser
                jjkaiser commented
                Editing a comment
                Like Hillbilly hike I was thinking that's alot of starch! You must buy the institutional size lol

Here's a link that was discussed on this forum to make a DIY version of the Best Press.
              https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/fo...copycat-recipe
              I've never used Best Press & I don't use starch but have heard that Best Press is expensive. I found a recipe online for a DIY Best Press recipe that people say they really like. This might help those of you who don't want to pay the big $ for the original Best Press. Something I did read about in making this spray is to be sure & use Vodka that is made from potatoes. Potatoes have starch in them & the spray works better with a starchy ingredient.

https://cutstitchandpiece.blogspot.c...rus-spray.html
              https://www.reddeliciouslife.com/201...ade-spray.html

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                Hillbillyhike commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks osewme! I will check it out.
            Working...
            X