Looking for trick to keep binding from twisting as you sew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for trick to keep binding from twisting as you sew

Hello peeps. I was thinking that collectively we have made thousands of quilts! I want to pick your brains to see if anyone has a solution to wrapping your binding around something so you can loosely unwrap it as you sew it onto the quilt. I don't pin my binding on except at the corners after I fold the miter in. I like to wrap my prepared binding so the fold is always on the left.I have tried various things, wrapping around rulers, CD cases, cardboard, a mason jar, etc and I keep thinking there must be a better way. Ideas?? Thanks.
    Jocelyn

I accordion style fold my binding into a small basket that I place on the floor next to my right foot ( well where my foot would be if it weren't on the peddle that is) The binding unfolds as I pull it out without twisting.

Comment

During the marathon of Ugly Quilts, I would just leave it on the floor under the ironing board. I'd pull a couple of arm lengths over to the sewing machine and I work on it, get to a corner and pull some more binding over.
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

accordion style sounds good. i've heard of folding it like a figure 8 too but i can do accordion easier I think. i usually lump mine in my lap or over my shoulder.

Comment

This works if you wrap it like a figure 8.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Comment

• Bubby
            Bubby commented
            Editing a comment
            This is the way I wind my binding. I love this technique. If I have leftover binding I drop it into a bag and it doesn’t come unwound. I wrap ribbon this way, too.

I put mine in a paper bag and organize a few inches before stitching down. I don't pin or clip at the corners. I iron the first fold, and the second before it goes back under the needle,
          You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Wondering if you mean something like this ?
            https://cherryal.com/products/sewing...35229554933919
            I saw it last night while looking for something else.

Comment

Wow, I've missed out..I just put it in my lap but I do starch it to death!

Comment

Why not try rolling the binding on to empty paper towel tubes, use a free standing paper towel holder to set it on, and place near you, it will unroll without twisting. I also starch the heck out of the binding
                Last edited by ktdid; September 16, 2020, 02:46 AM.
                Kathryn
                Man, Despite His artistic pretensions, his sophistication, his many accomplishments, Owes his existence to a Six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact, That It Rains! anonymous

Comment

After I pin just the beginning of the binding to get started, I just throw the rest in a pile in the middle of the quilt, pulling a length of it over to the right to line it up along the sewing edge as I go. Never had a problem with twisting.

Comment

I have a great tip for you, but I don't have time right now to look up the pic & post it. I roll the unfolded binding strips on to a cardboard tube so it flows off nicely & doesn't twist. (I fold as I go.) I make a "necklace" of yarn for the tube & hang it around my neck. I've been using this method for many years. Got the tip from the instructor of my first quilting class. I'll look for the pic later when I have more time.

Sashed Flower Garden Quilt - May, 2014 021.JPGHere's the pic. I had to look through a lot of folders to find it. The cardboard tube needs to be sturdy. The toilet paper rolls now are too thin. I saved several tubes from pkgs. of Hefty Baggies sandwich bags. (I think the rolls inside Saran Wrap or other plastic wraps might be sturdy enough, & you could cut it in half to have two.) I'm really glad I saved extras, because the company quit using the cardboard tubes. I usually start sewing the binding 1/2 way down the R. side of the quilt. I measure ahead to make sure a diagonal seam won't hit at the corner and adjust accordingly. I like to leave a good 12" or so not sewn to allow for connecting the ends. I like plenty of "wiggle room" to connect when I get all the way around the quilt. Hope the pic helps.
                    Last edited by JCY; September 16, 2020, 10:38 AM. Reason: Pic added

Comment

• jjkaiser
                      jjkaiser commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for taking the time to find a picture! I will be on the lookout in my pantry for a good strong tube. Maybe heavy duty aluminum foil.

• Caroline T.
                      Caroline T. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Love this idea - gonna have to try it on the next quilt. If you can't find a sturdy cardboard tube, then perhaps a short piece of PVC pipe (look for something thin & be sure to clean off any lettering that is printed on it as it could transfer to your fabric - I think rubbing alcohol works for that).

• Vonnie
                      Vonnie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You know those pool noodles? Don't they have a hole down the center?

I have a tip that works great for me. Don't know where I originally saw it, but I love it! I wrap the binding loosely around my hand, then place the binding in a large zip-lock bag. I tape one side of the open bag to the table so that it hangs between my arms/legs. I'm able to feed the binding straight from the bag to the sewing machine, no tugging, no pulling, no getting tangled under my feet! (this was harder to explain than I thought!)

Comment

The method I use, I happen to see on one of the quilting groups I belong to on Facebook last year. Once I'm done attaching the binding strips together, and I start ironing them in half, I use a piece of scotch tape to hold the end in place and wrap the strip around an empty thread spool. Then you can put a piece of tape at the other ending piece to hold in place for the time being. That's because I tend to make my binding strips ahead of time even before I'm done quilting.
                      When I'm ready to sew the binding to the quilt, I just pull the tape off the one end and unwrap enough to sew one side down at a time. Hope this helps.
                      Happy Quilting.Hugs Katie

Comment

I don't seem to have a problem with binding. I do not press in half before I sew nor do I pin. I fold as I go.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I guess I am guilty of overthinking this one cause your solutions are pretty simple.

Comment

Working...
                          X