Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to baste

Hello!

I know there are many ways to baste a quilt. What is your preferred method and why? I've recently tried spray basting one small quilt project and that worked well, but I don't want to dry clean quilts after, which the spray can says to do. I've sewn basting stitches, which was time consuming. I haven't tried pinning, but have recently purchased some quilts. I've heard about water soluble thread for basting as well.

Thanks!
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Good Afternoon! Well morning here still. My least favorite part of quilting is basting. I've been spray basting lately. You don't have to dry clean..I never have and no issues. Pins i find get in the way of machine quilting. I've hand quilted a few quilts it takes 100's of pins. I've personally never stitched based a quilt so no help there!! I'm waiting to get a stand up long arm frame so it can sandwhich for me!! I saw one technique where you baste it on the wall. I've wanted to try that. We resued a dog last year, she sheds terribly so I cant spray baste on the floor anymore so I haven't quilted anything big. Sorry the thought of dog hair stuck to the batting grosses me out. Shes not allowed in the room where my fabric and stuff is either but its not big enough to baste in.
    I know there are tons of techniques out there. I personally like to smooth everything and have tons of room to work to make sure I don't have wrinkles. I baste in parts and smooth working from the middle out. I have noticed to be careful when smoothing not to stretch too much. I would love to send some out too but I just cant justify it when I have a sit down longarm.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      I would feel the same way if I had a long arm. One day when I'm retired and have a bigger house I may get one. I will use spray for small projects and try other methods for bigger....see which I like best. Thanks Rachel!

I prefer spray basting when I'm having to do a quilt here at the house. Big one's go to Dragonfly Long Arm. Love them dearly.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds like a good system you have Katrina. Thanks!

I think I am an exception around here, I like to pin baste. I have a canvas covered table that is 4'x7' that I lay quilts out to baste. I can put the selvage of the backing along one edge and position the batting and one corner of the top, smooth it all out one layer at a time then pin the whole thing. If the top is larger than 4x7 I do it in sections. It is a pain to remove pins as I quilt but that is life, I don't like the spray for anything sizable.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      I was worried things would shift when I sprayed. I think I'll add a few pins next time just to be sure. I don't think I would want to spray a big quilt either. Thanks Claire!

I pin baste my quilts. I did think that regular basting would be less intrusive when quilting but first undo that it takes so much longer to do. When I'm basting I use a spoon to help hook the pin. Saves the fingers from getting sore.
    Carlie

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      The spoon is a good idea. Joy...what do you use to close the pins? And what's a DSM?

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      I use my fingers to open & close the pins. DSM = Domestic Sewing Machine.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahh. Thanks Joy.

There is glue basting. You Put a dot of basting glue, or school glue where you would use a pin. I have watched a video on it, but there is so many I can't remember which one it was. So here is a page of them. You could try it out on some scraps maybe.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...A7AAB9BE14B280
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting! Thanks Lori. So many different methods!

I spray baste everything from table runners to queen size quilts. They stay together nicely and have yet to get any puckers as I quilt. I wash my quilts after I'm done and have never had any problems with the spray.
    Maria

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know. Thanks Maria! I'll meep trying it on smaller projects. Have you tried making your own spray baste? I've seen videos on it. Not sure how well they work. I think it's flour and water.

• Maria Sews
      Maria Sews commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I've never tried making my own. I learned about 505 and haven't looked back!

I always spray baste. I have found that some brands work/smell less than others. Just started using pool noodles to roll
    the quilt while basting, works really well.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Also good to know. What brand of spray do you use? Pool noodles are a great idea!

I’m with Claire & JCY- I pin baste (unless I’m doing something super small like placemats. I’m lucky to have a large area of hardwood floor where I spread out & tape down my backing fabric with painters tape before I spread out the other layers. For my full-sized quilts, I end up using about 300 pins.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a lot of pins! I really like the painters tape idea!! I'm going to try that.

Back in July I posted about water soluble thread, I baste everything with it, I use long doll needles, use a double length of the thread, and baste, it's great you don't have to take out the basting, just quilt right over it! I also use it on appliques, or for tacking something down, I use it instead of glue sticks. quick note to self ... when I use regular thread, I always would "wet" the end to thread the needle, you guessed it I did duh....
    Last edited by ktdid; September 13, 2020, 03:34 AM.
    Kathryn
    There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol. I probably would too! I am also a thread wetter. Thanks Kathryn! I will check out your post.

• Hulamoon
      Hulamoon commented
      Editing a comment
      🤣.................

Pin Basting with the Kwik Klip ~ I just watched a short video by Pat Sloan on YT. This tool was recommended to me in one of my early classes, but I never bought it. I think I just may have to buy this. It's available on Amazon for $8.99 and on Connecting Threads, on sale, for $7.16. For those of us who pin baste, I think it would really help spare our fingers & wrists. It has a groove in it on which the pin fits for easy closure. Does anyone use this tool? Do you like it?

Comment

• Paula2111
      Paula2111 commented
      Editing a comment
      I am a “pinner” too. I have seen that tool, too, and have wondered how well it works. Would be awesome to have if it did. Relieve the hand stress - especially when pinning a large quilt. And I tend to be an over pinner - don’t want stuff shifting around.

• ktdid
      ktdid commented
      Editing a comment
      I have seen many ladies using a grapefruit spoon upside down, the pin fits nicely in the notches of the spoon
Working...
X