No announcement yet.

Did I make a mistake??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a lovely quilt. Great colors and generous of your time and talent to make it as a gift for your mother. There's a story about Amish quilts that says a quilt can't be perfect because only the Lord makes perfection. I love that myth and certainly believe we are not perfect. I'm not Amish, by the way. Enjoy your beautiful work.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks MGH! That's a great Amish saying. I'll take it to heart.

Your quilt blocks look perfect and such pretty blue fabrics. The seams don't align as the units are two different measurements. The pinwheels are a two unit block split in half.

The block next to them is split in a 2/3 and 1/3 unit. This block would need matching unit size.

So there is no worry about the seams. I like patterns like this. Double slice layer cake is another pattern with fewer seams to match.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Rhonda! I thought that's what it was as all my measurements are accurate. Nice to have confirmation. I'll pay more attention to that next time I alter a pattern.

That's a beautiful quilt that your mom is going to love. I'm glad you left it alone & moved forward. That's what I would have done. I learned a long time ago to never point out my mistakes in quilts because no one will ever notice them or think of them as mistakes. They just love the fact that they have a beautiful quilt made with love from you.

Comment

Did you square all your blocks before sewing them together?
      its important to square blocks so all your seams line up.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        I did thanks. I think Rhonda is right in that they are different units and not meant to line up. That's what I thought too.

The quilt is beautiful... you are a sewest, a quilter and now a designer! In quilting I have learned to pick my battles, and if it requires a LOT of picking... nah the battle is not worth it. I made a scrappy quilt where the entire bottom row was sew on upside down, did I fix it... Nope! Told grandson, while in bed you can look down and actually be able to read the bottom row of blocks. It was sport theme/logo blocks. He love it ! He had a one of a kind quilt!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol. That's awesome. Thanks for the kind words Mimi! You made me smile.

beautiful looking quilt,
      if iron to dark side do you lock (put seam on top of each other with one seam going one way and the other the opposite, so nudge up against each other thus not moving) the seams when sewing.?.
      personally think there are never mistakes just design choices,
      design choices often have a funny tale for example, the cat sat on quilt when was sewing that seam, as they are great supporters so left it in as a reminder lol.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol. I'll get a cat one day so I can blame her! Haha. Went to look at getting a cat the other day and animal rescue places have waitlists, screening procedures and interviews for potential pet guardians. Not a pet to be found! I wasn't about to pay $400 for a kitten from a seller!! We were friends with the cutest neighbour cat who practically lived in our garden, but sadly she recently moved away.
    Working...
    X