Did I make a mistake??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I make a mistake??

I finished the top to my mama's recliner quilt yesterday, and I'm happy with it. But before putting the big blocks together I noticed that all the pinwheels blocks didn't line up when joining to the turned blocks. Now I've just created and substituted pinwheel blocks for a regular square in my 9 patch. Then I disappeared it once. I know nothing about patterns so maybe this was not good to do? It bothers me that they don't line up, but I don't believe it's an error in construction. All my piec measurements in my blocks are accurate. I believe it's a pattern error. What do you think?

20200911_150410.jpg It's the right of the pinwheel where it meets the plaid flannel and dark blue.

20200911_204726.jpg I'm pleased with it overall though.
    Hike

Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

I think it looks great! With sewing the 9-patch, then cutting it twice, and sewing the new block, the not matching could be related to seam allowances and/or cutting. You'll be the only one who'll ever notice that those seams didn't match perfectly.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I agree with MRoy -- I think you are the only one who will ever notice. I really like the look of it!

Comment

Ditto, Myrna and Julie. I think it's beautiful!
        Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Thank you ladies! I agree. I do love it. I just want to become a better quilter and learn from my mistakes. Like I said...I believe it's a pattern, not a construction error, if any. Or maybe that that's just the way it should look with the pinwheel substitution?
          Hike

Comment

What a wonderful looking quilt, and I like your fabric choices as well.

Rob
            There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
            --Ken Burns

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Rob. My mama asked for blue. These were in my stash.

I think it looks great! You won't see small stuff like that after its quilted.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed. I was just curious as to what happened.

Looks fantastic!! I love plaids too. Great color choices. I think it's just the pattern placement. We call these creative expression. Never a mistake you created a new pattern!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Rachel...you made me smile. Thank you!

What a stunning looking quilt, great job!!!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Awww..thanks MaggieSue!

I like it the way it is, but if you're wanting it to match up, it almost looks like you need to turn the non-pinwheel block one turn. It appears that the block is rectangle and not square. I may be wrong. All in all, it's a nice quilt.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Karen. I will pay attention next quilt. This one is done and ready to put together.

It looks wonderful! Don’t fret over something minor. No one will know it’s there but you.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I think it is just plain beautiful and I wouldn't change a thing. My mom loved blue anything too. I fact she told me she would disown me if I didn’t have a blue wedding. I did. Didn’t matter to me. All I cared about was getting married.
              Carlie

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                Hillbillyhike commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Carlie. I made my mama a quilted medicine bag a while back and she asked for blues then as well. She will get matching fabrics in her quilt! Lol

• Hillbillyhike
                Hillbillyhike commented
                Editing a comment
                I was making masks the other day. Mama wanted blue to match her medicine bag...and quilt lol. She got it!

A dear friend of ine gave me the name of a local long arm quilter that her friend uses. I just spoke with her. Only $61 CND to have her free motion quilt it, providing I supply the batting and backing. Seems very reasonable to me! I've decided I'm going to let her do it, after I add some embroidery flowers in the white squares.
              Hike

Comment

• JCY
                JCY commented
                Editing a comment
                That quilting price is a bargain! Go for it!

As for the seams not matching, don't sweat it. Once the top is assembled & it's quilted, no one will notice. A tip I've learned when making the D9P, after you slice the block, make sure each
                section is squared up, then the seams will match.

• Hillbillyhike
                Hillbillyhike commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Joy. Great tip! I never thought of that.

I just wanted to say what an "eye pleasing" quilt you've created, great job! Your mama will love it.
              If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                Hillbillyhike commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you very much Cathy! I think so too....especially once I add embroidery.

Just 2 quick questions, which way are the seam allowances facing where it meets the plaid flannel and dark blue. Are those allowances going the same direction or opposite? What is the exact measurement from the raw edges of the lower half of the pinwheel and the dark blue. I agree that it will not make a difference once quilted but I'm just trying to find an answer as to why there is an off-set.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                Hillbillyhike commented
                Editing a comment
                Seam allowances are pressed away from the pinwheels. The units are perfectly sized. I think Rhonda is right in that it's the scale of the pattern. 2/3 and 1/3 of flipped side by side rectangles aren't going to line up.
            Working...
            X