For those who use Accuquilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who use Accuquilt

Most of the time when I use the Accuquilt cutter, things come out fine. However, on my Blue and Gray quilt I've cut out several 4 1/2 inch squares. Most of them are OK, but one of the squares came out all wonky, meaning it wasn't square. I ended up having to recut that particular square because of the 40 or so I cut, they were all like that The second batch I cut came out OK, but in putting the blocks together I've noticed one or two others of different colors are like that. I can't figure out what happened, because my experience is it shouldn't matter how the fabric is sitting on the die as long as you cut LOF. It's almost like the squares somehow got turned and they almost look more like a parallelogram than a square.

Any ideas?

ETA; The squares are directional, but it's the square that's off, not the design on the fabric.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

How many layers do you cut at a time? That can affect how they come out. My friends daughter in laws were both in a wedding and ordered the same size dress. One fit and one clearly was way too small. The store said when they cut the fabric, it is several layers at a time, and the ones from the bottom end up being a different size.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Rob, I use the multi 4 1/2 inch square on my Accuquilt Go. Depending on the fabric, I cut no more than 3- 4 layers and sometimes I will lay a piece of copy paper between the mat and fabric. Joan

Comment

I'll never cut more than 3 to 4 layers at a time, and I starch the snot out of the fabric prior to cutting. Also, make sure that the die is facing the right way.
        Barbara

Comment

When using my Accuquilt I prep the fabric by pressing with Best Press or some other kind of starch. The fabric should be set on the die so that the length of grain (less stretch) goes into the cutter first. I also cut no more than four layers at a time. Hope this helps.

Comment

Be sure you are fan-folding the fabric like a zig-zag. Fold the fabric one layer like this: wwwwww

Don't double fold in a fold like this: (( ))

I also starch and press fabric before cutting. Yes, I'm the one that sub-cuts the fabrics into 6 pieces first sometimes.

Lay the mat on top. Don't twist or slide it onto the die.

Put the dies through the cutter with the label facing your belly. The dies are made to go through the cutter facing you. We always stop and laugh in class about those "belly and label" directions but we do remember it.

Mats do wear out. You can rotate them on die for more use. You can flip the mat to the other side. I had a die not cutting well and it was the worn mat. I keep a couple of new mats on hand.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Sounds like your fabric shifted. This has happened to me too. Very easy to happen when going from prep to machine.

Comment

Thanks everyone. So far, there's nothing (with the exception of starching) that I haven't done. I've taken a picture of what I'm describing. The block on the left is the wonky one while the block on the right is fine. Starching definitely might be the way to go, especially when I have a few hundred to cut. Again, thanks for all your input!

Rob
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                --Ken Burns

Comment

I don't have an accucut, but my first thought was maybe some Best Pressed or starch would help. You can definitely see the difference.

Comment

Working...
                  X