Looking for some help - Rotary Cutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some help - Rotary Cutters

Greetings - I am not a quilter nor am I someone who sews, but my wife is and over the years I've picked up many an item for her as birthday, anniversary and Christmas gifts. A few years ago, after she injured one of her hands (60% loss of use! 😒 ) I picked her up a Gingher Rotary cutter - this has been a staple of her quilting ever since.

Last year I bought her some additional replacement blades and literally just now she opened the last package - so I immediately started looking for more.

But I can't find them - anywhere.

I found one quilting store that believes that Gingher may no longer make the blades as they no longer make the cutters.

So I guess I have two questions - first, are there any compatible replacement blades that anyone knows of out there? Second, if not, does anyone know of a rotary cutter that is as good as the Gingher was?

I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Roger

I buy https://www.martellinotions.com/blades.html Last time I bought them it was a 25 pack on sale. I know it was before I retired in 2014 and I still have half of them left. I love their blades!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

That's so nice of you. Yes they are universal. I buy these on amazon. they are Japanese steel. The name brands are way to expensive for how fast you go through them. I have a cutter marked for paper and one for fabric.

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=209245...pd_rd_wg=DDn9W

I forgot to add that these don't rust. I'm in Hawaii and EVERYTHING rusts!
      Last edited by Hulamoon; September 11, 2020, 10:17 PM.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Lorie. I'm in Canada and use Amazon.ca. Your link doesn't show me the blades. What brand are they?

• Hulamoon
        Hulamoon commented
        Editing a comment
        Sopito

Here's the ad heading

45MM Rotary Cutter Blades, Sopito 10 PCS Premium Spare Replacement Cutting Blades with Sharpness, Great for Heavy Duty Use, Quilting, Patchwork, Crafts and Sewing-45 Days Home Trial

List Price: $10.98
        Price: $8.99

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Lori. Unfortunately Amazon.ca doesn't carry that brand.

I did a quick search, several reviewers of the Gingher refills said the Fiskar titanium blades worked better than the Gingher. It sounded like it would use a universal 45mm blade.

I have several Olaf rotary cutters, and a Martelli. I've heard great things about the Kai rotary cutter, too. The Olaf Splash is really easy to change the blades.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with more information. Welcome to the forum!
      Katrina
      β€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• bubba
        bubba commented
        Editing a comment
        Kai's rotary cutters are FABULOUS!! I use my Martelli blades on them.

• jjkaiser
        jjkaiser commented
        Editing a comment
        I bought a Kai rotary cutter after seeing rave reviews on here and I hate it! It has this weird safety guide built into it and to me it just gets in the way.. It also will not fit into the grooves of a Stripology ruler because of the guide thing. Back to my trusty old Fiskars 28 mm.

Welcome Roger! How kind of you to be thinking of your wife like that! I don't know too much about cutters but the ones I have come in 35mm amd 45mm standard sizes. I can swap them out with any brand. I have Olaf and Fiskars. I am looking to get a new cutter. One with a squeeze and release handle so that it shuts automatically. I tend to forget to close ot each time and nip myself. Let us know what you find out!
      Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Thank you Roger for being so considerate, rotary cutter blades are pretty much universal, for me, I purchase the titanium blades from Amazon. They last longer, (you can always return them). Just a note of caution, I always use a magnet to take the blades on & off, new blades can have oil on them and can stick together, I just lay them on a paper towel and blot them.
        Kathryn
        There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
          Hillbillyhike commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a great tip Kathryn! Thanks.

• Hulamoon
          Hulamoon commented
          Editing a comment
          Once, I put a blade in and was baffled for a few minutes why the fabric was shredding 🀣

Good tip!

ktdid, thank you so muchfor the tip about using a magnet to get them apart I am always worried that I am going to cut myself trying to get one out of the box. 😁

Comment

Thank you everyone for the kind words and amazing advice!

I'll start looking around immediately and hopefully have more blades for her soon!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            Good luck Roger!

Originally posted by DesertSewist View Post
          ktdid, thank you so muchfor the tip about using a magnet to get them apart I am always worried that I am going to cut myself trying to get one out of the box. 😁
          I use a handy dandy canning jar magnet to move my blades. Here is a sample
          I think the prices out there are ridiculous. I got my Ball brand lifter for about $2.
          β€œOf all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
          β€œWe can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

Working...
          X