Carpenter's Star Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carpenter's Star Quilt

I have a 10" layer cake and want to make this quilt, but not 83x83"... ideas?

I was just thinking the same thing!! Could it be done with 5" squares instead of 10"?

Comment

If you figure out what size you want the finished quilt. You can figure out the size blocks you need. What size would you like it finished?

Comment

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but I played with this and with a four inch border it ends up 56x56. If I'm not answering your question, please just ignore me. 😀

Rob
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

• pveling
          pveling commented
          Editing a comment
          You have a Bassett hound?

• Rob the HOAQ
          Rob the HOAQ commented
          Editing a comment
          We did. Her name was Droopy. She developed cancer in 2018 and we had to have her put down. We're in the process of rescuing another one named Patsy.

Rob

Like what Rob is showing, it's going to depend on your borders. Comes down to what look you like. Here are some ideas.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...cHover&ajf=100

🌺 Lorie

Comment

I just made this quilt and I adjusted the border down substantially. If memory serves, the pattern calls for a 6 inch border.

Comment

• pveling
            pveling commented
            Editing a comment
            What size did you end up with? I wanted something like a lap quilt. Do you use a layer cake?

• srgreene
            srgreene commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a tall hub so for us it was all size 😀. From memory is was probably 75 by 75. It's off at the LAQ now. I did use a layer cake. I hate cutting and wast ing from a pre cut.

If you are making this with HST just figure what size finished quilt you want. Adjust the size squares you need to use. Any size will work. As you can see in the post hulamoon posted the star is 8 X 8 squares plus whatever border you add.

Comment

I made this Carpenter's Star using 5" squares from my stash. With a 4" border it came to about 48 x 48". Finished the entire top over the weekend.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• jjkaiser
              jjkaiser commented
              Editing a comment
              That turned out really nice! And I love your color choices.

You would never want me to answer any math related question. I am someone who can add a col of numbers from top to bottom and then from bottom to top, on a calculator, and get two different totals! But I like your Carpenter's Star idea and I hope you get the answer you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
            X