FMQ Advice for Irish Chain Variant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMQ Advice for Irish Chain Variant

I’m starting to get excited about my next quilt top - I laid it out this evening, and will start sewing all the squares together tomorrow.

it is a variant of an Irish chain, where I replaced the blank squares with square-in-a-square (I’m sure there is a name for this pattern, but I don’t know it).

I’d like some suggestions on selecting patterns for FMQ. I will be quilting this on my DSM. I’m not a big fan of all-over patterns (at least when I’m doing the quilting), tending to favor quilting patterns that accent the piecing. Many of the S-i-S feature Elsa/Anna motifs from Frozen 2. I have a stencil for an 8-pointed star that fits those squares, but am not committed to using that motif. I’ve included some photos below.

what thoughts do you have?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

I’m no help.....I hand quilt. But I just had to tell you that your quilt is gorgeous! Can’t wait to see what you do with the quilting!
    💫 Star lover

Comment

It's going to be stunning.
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I like the colors & layout. Most of the time I FMQ an all-over design. It's just easier for me. Custom quilting takes so much more time, but it's worth it if you want a special effect. I never use those templates for FMQ; it's easier for me to do it free-hand. Post pics again when it's finished.

Comment

Absolutely gorgeous quilt! Some suggestions for the quilting would be a snowflake design in the 9 patch and maybe some echoing lines in the square in a square blocks.
          Happy Quilting.Hugs Katie

Comment

Ohh...so pretty! Imlike the idea of Katie's snowflake design and echoing cor the quilting. That's what I would do of it were mine. Straight line sewing too!
            Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

So pretty!! I love Frozen!! I know I'm 42 but i so have thought of making me one!! I'm like Joy i do all over. No help but beautiful!!

Comment

Thank you so much for your kind words. I like the idea of incorporating snowflakes into the quilting. I guess we’ll have to see what kind of inspiration I get once I finally it sandwiched.

Comment

My first thought was also snowflakes. Real snowflakes are based on a hexagon, but for quilting this it's much easier to do 8 points on each snowflake.

Comment

Working...
                  X