Fabric differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric differences

Hi - I am a "renewed" quilter and just discovered Marshalls Dry Goods ... can someone tell me what the differences are in some of the fabrics they offer? For example today I saw "MDG Classics", "MCD Dream Cotton", "Premium Cotton", "Promotional Cotton", and "Prime Plus" - all seem to be 100% cotton ... but I don't see any references to thread count or weight.

Thanks!

Nina

You can tell fhe quality of quilters 100% cotton fabric by the price.
    cheap fabric will be poor quality fabric
    Cheap fabric will be loosely woven and stretch out of shape when piecing. This fabric will not wash well after a few washings.
    A quilter spends a lot of time piecing a quilt top, using poor quality fabric
    is not going to produce a quality quilt.
    Good quality fabric will be easier to work with and produce a better quality quilt. Good quality fabric will extend the life of your quilt through many washings. The most important part of a quilt top is using quality fabric. Being on a budget, which most of us are, you can save money in other areas. Don’t buy excess products you won’t use. Especially newbie quilters I think would be quilty of this. Happy Piecing :-)

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes we are.☺

Amen!! Bernina2
    Kathryn
    There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Having shopped there in person, you are pretty safe if you stay away from anything under $5 a yard. Dream is good quilt shop quality, classic and premium are a slight step down, but still good. Promotional is "iffy" and I wouldn't buy it without handling it first.
      TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• Hulamoon
        Hulamoon commented
        Editing a comment
        that was a good review. thanks

• auntstuff
        auntstuff commented
        Editing a comment
        You are welcome. Since I am close, I buy most of my fabric there where I can touch it first.

I've bought from there, it was timeless treasures wich is fantastic!!

Comment

We've bought a lot of backing from them, which at $7.99 a yard is hard to beat. So far, what we've bought seems to be pretty good. However, one gripe that has nothing to do with quality of fabric. We were going to buy a couple of bolts of solids that would be used for a number of things and totaled almost $100. No free shipping for that amount. They offer free shipping for cut products over $70, but not for bolts. I realize bolts cost more to ship than yardage, but come on.

Rob
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

• auntstuff
          auntstuff commented
          Editing a comment
          It often helps to call and talk to them. They really are reasonable people. I've known them for many years.

• Rob the HOAQ
          Rob the HOAQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll have to give that a try, because I really do like what I've got so far.

Rob

Rob, I understand your gripe but let me say this. I ordered a bolt from them for backing and I have to say I was quite impressed with the quality of their shipping. The bolt was wrapped in plastic and the outer package was mylar and double sealed. Have never seen such care for fabric being sent. The cost of shipping added to the fabric was still less than anywhere else online. I have used MDG's for awhile now and have never been disappointed.
        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
        Aesop

Comment

Working...
        X