Battling with sashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battling with sashing

This is after the fact because I got it as good as it's going to get! I've ripped it out 3 times.

Does anyone have a trick for matching vertical sashing?

I can't show a pic it's for secert santa. I decided not to use corner stones and what a bugger! I used fork pins to match and lock the seams the row below and still got 1/8" off. It worked most of the time. I had two that I was like its not that noticable its like 1/16th off.

Here's an example for what I'm referring. See how the vertical rows perfectly align. When you put in the horizonal sashing between rows lining the vertical to flow in one straight line is the advice I'm looking for.

quicktip_sashing6.jpg
    Last edited by Momofmonsters5; September 6, 2020, 10:41 PM. Reason: Spelling

I will be watching this thread also. I finished a quilt today, dealing with the same issue. Couldn't come up with a good idea.
    Diana Grey

Comment

There are a few tutuorials on YouTube - here's one of them which seems fairly straightforward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSBUVro0wFc

Comment

I have always marked my sashing, this video is very good explaining the process.
        Kathryn
        There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Have you ever tried the technique where you sash as you go? After you sew your block and square it up add the sashing to the right side and bottom of each block as you go. When all your blocks are sashed sew them together as usual. To complete the sashing you would then sew a long strip of sashing along the top and the left edges of your quilt top. You can also add a cornerstone to either strip of your sashing as you go. It’s so easy and accurate this way...no long strips to fiddle with and match.

I hope you will give this a try. I think I originally got this from Jenny in one of her tutorials. It has become my go-to for simple sashing.
          Last edited by Bubby; September 7, 2020, 08:06 AM.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            This sounds like a great way of doing it! I have not done sashing before, but I would try it this way.

• Momofmonsters5
            Momofmonsters5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Barb, I honestly never thought to do due to so many seams. After ripping though I'll try it. Corner stones are a god send lol but sometimes not a good choice. Thanks for the advice!!

• Vonnie
            Vonnie commented
            Editing a comment
            this is the way I was taught about 15 years ago by a LQS when they were teaching me how to make a t-shirt quilt. Just don't pick a directional print!

I am not going to ever do one long sashing row in between horizontal rows again. I much prefer to sash each block then sew the blocks together.

Comment

I agree with Bubby. On my Regiments quilt, I did the sashing as I went, and 98 percent of it worked out (we won't talk about the other two percent). Cheryl still does it the old fashioned way, and it works fine for her, but I'm not that coordinated.

Rob
            There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
            --Ken Burns

Comment

It’s a matter of personal preference. If I was making a quilt for competition I would do traditional sashing. For other quilts I love the sash as you go method. The extra seams are barely noticeable after your quilt is quilted. Be sure to be consistent about how you sew on your sashing. For instance sew the first strip of sashing on the same side on all your blocks.
              side- bottom - side - bottom - side - bottom.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I also do sashing as I go. IMO, it's so much easier.

Comment

Thanks so much!! My daughter has been wanting a present chritmas quilt and I've avoided it. I'll try this! Thanks again

Comment

I use this method
                    http://www.synthcom.com/~val/Quilts/...ngSashing.html

Comment

I made this quilt and the pattern called to cut the sashing strips across the row. I didn't want that many seams to deal with so cut one long strip. I marked the line where the block would fall so that was my target to match. The blocks had to line up vertically so I used lots of pins. I also stay stitched the sashing strip and the blocks before sewing them together.

Here is the original pattern.

https://windhamfabrics.net/cgi-bin/f...?patternID=720

Here is the quilt using sashing between each row of the blocks.

IMG_0693.jpg

If you don't want to mark the sashing strip, you can make fold marks on the quilt and sashing strips. Match those two together and stitch. When folding for marking, don't double fold the fabrics. The double (a fold and then another fold) will distort the measurement you need. Hope that helps!
                      Last edited by Rhonda K; September 9, 2020, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
                        Momofmonsters5 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Love that pattern! I don't need another project but I might just have to make that!!
                    Working...
                    X