batik quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

batik quilt

I'm working on a batik quilt, I want it to be warm for granddaughter. It seems last few quilts I made are so thin. My long Arm quilter uses her own batting. Would 1/2" batting be better? Hope all your quilts coming out nice. I've read polyester is warm, she use 20/80 blend and 100% cotton

I no longer use the poly thicker batting. I use Hobbs 80/20 for everything.

Comment

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I buy quilters dream. here are two links, the second explaining their products.

http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5l...E4TUt2STA/view
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I use either Quilters Dream or Warm and Natural. I have used Warm and Natural for many years and the quilts are always very warm.
        Carlie

Comment

Have you asked if your long armers have different kinds of batting? Mine carries different weights of quilters dream. I always get the heavier weight for my MIL since she lives in IN.
          Katrina
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I mostly use quilters dream select. Once I wanted a thicker, warmer quilt and used their Deluxe batting.I thought the difference was quite noticable and would use it again if I wanted that thickness. This is QD's description.

Deluxe: Provides added warmth and weight offering extra emphasis for your quilting design. Great for machine quilting weighty quilts, wall hangings, bags, craft projects and much more. Available in Natural Cotton.
            Diana Grey

Comment

I use 100% cotton batting. Always have. If I wanted warmer or thicker I use a heavier weight on the back. Like a minky or flannel. I've heard wool and bamboo batting is warm but very expensive.

Comment

• JCY
                JCY commented
                Editing a comment
                Quilter's Dream is more expensive than the 80/20. I've never priced or used wool or bamboo. I've heard several horror stories about wool batting shrinking badly.

• Momofmonsters5
                Momofmonsters5 commented
                Editing a comment
                Really Joy? Glad I never invested in it. I used the 80/20 once it turned out good i just can't get over the way it feels before you use it. Its why I only use cotton I don't mind touching it.

Wool batting has a wonderful "poofiness" to it that really makes the quilting look great. But wool batting requires care when washing. It can be dried in the dryer, but ONLY on the "no heat" setting. You could not do this at a laundromat, as those dryers range from hot to hotter. It takes forever to dry a quilt on the no heat setting. I include care instructions as a label on the back of the quilt, and consider whether the recipient is likely to follow them. My step-daughter's wedding quilt used wool batting. My step-son, well, there is no way I will be using wool!

Comment

Joy, I have used Dream Wool for more than ten years and I have no complints, my quilts have not suffered any shrinkage and their touch after so many years and washing them in the washing machine at home is still wonderful, I have also used cotton in some others quilts but if I want a special feeling to the touch I use wool

Comment

Quilters Dream Select is my favorite. It makes a warm quilt that is not too puffy like poly but the weight of the quilt feels heavy. I live in Wis where it gets very cold so I like quilts that feel dense or heavy. I am a hand quilter and this brand is good for quilting and crinkles beautifully after washing. I used Hobbs 80/20 for years but this is a little thicker loft and definitely makes a heavier quilt.

Comment

Have used Quilters Dream in several quilts but have only washed one and it shrung mega inches. My quilter contacted the company and they just blew it off. I'm afraid to wash the rest that have it in. I don't use it any more.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                      Claire Hallman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I wouldn't blame that only on the batting. Every quilt I have made shrinks a good bit when it is first washed. It is cotton, it shrinks.

Someone here on the forum mentioned that Quilters Dream will send you a brochure with samples of their products if you email a request to them. I did and the samples came so quickly and it was free. The sample sizes are approx 2-1/2 x 5 inches so you can touch and feel them and see their thickness. It has 16 different samples with descriptions of each.

Comment

There is Warm and Natural Plush.

https://www.amazon.com/COMPANY-2665-.../dp/B00HVM59TM

I bought a whole bolt.
                      Vonnie

Comment

I second the recommendation to ask Quilter's Dream for their sample book. It is definitely educational, being able to feel the difference between the different thicknesses and textures.
                        The quilt on my bed was made with QD wool for the batting. I wash in cool water and dry on low heat. It shrunk a minimal amount, hardly noticeable. The quilt top is batiks, and I pre-washed the backing. It has a lovely loft, is warm in winter and light enough for summer.

Comment

Working...
                        X