Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

    I have been quilting in some capacity for 40 years. Mostly by my own rules. I want to make a king size quilt from jelly rolls for 2 reasons. 1 - I like the look & 2- I was told it could not be done. I have never made a jelly roll quilt so I am in for a challenge, plus my machine blew up so I will be sewing / learning on a new Janome 6600P. Double learning curve.

    I think before I start this one I will complete 4 I have started. That will at least familiarize me the machine!!!!!!!

    Any idea how many jelly rolls it would take to make a king size quilt with long sides? Any suggestions?

    Thanks, Barbara
    Thanks so much!
    .Blessings, Barbara

    #2
    Re: ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

    Jean the Sewing machine has user notes and youtube videos on this. I don't know for sure about the king size but if anyone knows she does.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgPGI...e=results_main
    Lisa

    Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.


    [/COLOR]

    Comment


      #3
      Re: ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

      1 jelly roll is approximately 1680 inches of fabric x 2 1/2 inches. (40 strips of 42 inch long fabric)
      You would need to measure the bed with the overhangs and see how big it is.

      Based off a king sized mattress size of 76 x 80 and adding in a 10" drop, that would make your quilt size 86 x 100 (8600 inches)

      If my math is correct, you would need 6 jelly rolls. (8600/1680= 5.11). If you got a jelly roll with 42 strips, you would only need 5 jelly rolls (8600/1764=4.87)

      If your mattress is a different size or you wanted a longer overhang, you would adjust accordingly.
      "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

      "Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

      Comment


        #4
        Re: ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

        Barb, I have the formula in my user notes. My guess is that you will need at least 3 full size jelly rolls, 40-42 strips each. If you tell me your exact measurements, i can be more specific. I don't have a king bed and don't know how long nor how much hang over you want. Kellie D made one for her father, you might contact her about how much it took.

        Check the user notes out, just click on my name, look under profile, the user notes are in there.

        Another member and I figured out an alternate way to do it, but since I have no need for a king size, it's not something I've tried yet. So, let's talk some more when you get some specific measurements.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

          Originally posted by Mchelem View Post
          1 jelly roll is approximately 1680 inches of fabric x 2 1/2 inches. (40 strips of 42 inch long fabric)
          You would need to measure the bed with the overhangs and see how big it is.

          Based off a king sized mattress size of 76 x 80 and adding in a 10" drop, that would make your quilt size 86 x 100 (8600 inches)

          If my math is correct, you would need 6 jelly rolls. (8600/1680= 5.11). If you got a jelly roll with 42 strips, you would only need 5 jelly rolls (8600/1764=4.87)

          If your mattress is a different size or you wanted a longer overhang, you would adjust accordingly.
          You didn't calculate the width of the jelly roll, you would only need 3 jelly rolls, not six. Divide your number in half to account for the 2" width of each strip.

          I make queens with 80 strips, no way a king would take 3 times as many.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

            Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
            You didn't calculate the width of the jelly roll, you would only need 3 jelly rolls, not six. Divide your number in half to account for the 2" width of each strip.

            I make queens with 80 strips, no way a king would take 3 times as many.
            What Jean said lol.

            And this is why I didn't continue those math classes in college. I honestly hate math.
            "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

            "Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

            Comment


              #7
              Re: ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

              Using the 86" by 100" measurement, here's how I would make it.

              Make it in three sections, each section 86" wide and 32" long. For each section, you would start out with 35-36 strips. Sew these together til you have 16 rows each, which would be 32" long and 86" wide. When you finish the three sections , sew them together to make a piece 86" by 96". You can add additional rows to the end to make it 100" long. 3 jelly rolls will be sufficient. I put borders on mine to add length and width, that can help you not need so many jelly roll strips! Good luck quilting that big boy!

              Comment


                #8
                Re: ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

                Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                Using the 86" by 100" measurement, here's how I would make it.

                Make it in three sections, each section 86" wide and 32" long. For each section, you would start out with 35-36 strips. Sew these together til you have 16 rows each, which would be 32" long and 86" wide. When you finish the three sections , sew them together to make a piece 86" by 96". You can add additional rows to the end to make it 100" long. 3 jelly rolls will be sufficient. I put borders on mine to add length and width, that can help you not need so many jelly roll strips! Good luck quilting that big boy!
                And this is with no borders.

                Jean, do you ever border yours??
                "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

                "Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

                  Originally posted by Mchelem View Post
                  And this is with no borders.

                  Jean, do you ever border yours??
                  I usually do, to add to the width and length. There are some pictures in one of my albums of the ones I've made for the queen bed. I also do not cover my pillows, I use shams, so mine are similar in size to what you buy in comforter sets.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

                    Originally posted by Mchelem View Post
                    What Jean said lol.

                    And this is why I didn't continue those math classes in college. I honestly hate math.
                    i hate math, too! Calculators are our friends! You were on the right track, just needed to go one more step!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

                      You only counted the 10" drop on one side of the bed. You'd need 96 x 100 for a king.



                      Originally posted by Mchelem View Post
                      1 jelly roll is approximately 1680 inches of fabric x 2 1/2 inches. (40 strips of 42 inch long fabric)
                      You would need to measure the bed with the overhangs and see how big it is.

                      Based off a king sized mattress size of 76 x 80 and adding in a 10" drop, that would make your quilt size 86 x 100 (8600 inches)

                      If my math is correct, you would need 6 jelly rolls. (8600/1680= 5.11). If you got a jelly roll with 42 strips, you would only need 5 jelly rolls (8600/1764=4.87)

                      If your mattress is a different size or you wanted a longer overhang, you would adjust accordingly.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

                        Originally posted by katier825 View Post
                        You only counted the 10" drop on one side of the bed. You'd need 96 x 100 for a king.
                        Actually, I did count it on both sides. 76 long and 80 wide. 76+10=86, 80+10+10=100. 86x100. You don't need the 10" drop twice for the length, since it isn't going to hang off the top of the mattress, just the foot.

                        And since I don't know her mattress side, it was just numbers based off a king sized mattress measurement I found on the www
                        "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

                        "Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

                          Thanks to all that have responded. I have A LOT to think about. When we get back from our Spring Break road trip I will measure the bed and get exact measurements. The bed is a Tempurpedic and also raises and lowers at the foot and head. This makes it a little larger than most - i think. I apologize for not sending the measurements in the original post. You ladies and your work are really amazing. Again thanks to all. I have a lot to learn!
                          Thanks so much!
                          .Blessings, Barbara

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X