First Quilt Fiasco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Quilt Fiasco

I just finished piecing my first quilt. Unfortunately, I self taught myself with the help of videos. But somewhere I missed the lesson on ensuring every block was the right size, I just kept thinking oh I will make it up with the borders. Duhh!!! Now my quilt top is very unsquare. Should I square it up to the shortest block and then add my borders? Or should I scrap it and start over again?
    Thanks for any advice to the weary.

I would square up the blocks...and move forward. I wouldn't scrap it unless you're unhappy about the finished product. I've only ever scraped one quilt... It was hideous when I put the blocks on the design board. I cut my loses and decided not to put any more fabric in it. Borders can help square up a quilt but only a tiny bit. I always measure for borders in the middle of the quilt. so for the sides I fold the quilt in half and measure the middle from side to side if that makes sense. If you measure around the edges of the quilt it could be off. Your most accurate is through the middle of the quilt. I hope it all turns out!!

Comment

• Bubby
      Bubby commented
      Editing a comment
      Square up your blocks to the smallest size and sew them together and see what you think. Even if you don’t love it someone else will.

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      Lesson learned. In the future, it will be easier to square each block as you go. Make sure your seams are consistently the same 1/4". Over the years, I've learned to use a scant 1/4" or the block size will not come out the dimensions it's supposed to. With your current blocks, you'll need to square them all to the smallest block you have. Good luck.

Congrats on finishing your first piecing. That's a great accomplishment. I know my first was big on enthusiasm and lighter on skill. And I learned via videos t oo. You decide how much you like what you've accomplished so far. If you like it, then invest the time and effort into squaring the project as suggested. Hope to see a picture posted.

Comment

Definitely finish this quilt. Whether you square it up or finish as is. You are probably the only one that will notice it is not squared up. Be proud to have finished it and as you make more quilts you can see the progress you have made. One of my first has a lot of imperfections but is one of my DH’s favorites

Comment

I feel your pain. A month ago I had never even touched a sewing machine (although I watched my mother and my wife do their stuff). I agree, don't scrap it. My wife's first quilt was a gift to my mother, and she had appliqued birds onto it. One of the birds defied gravity as it sat completely sideways. However, Mom, who had forgotten more about quilting than I will ever know, hung it up on the wall of her sewing room, where it stayed until the day she died. Cheryl went from that quilt to winning a blue ribbon at the local county fair for a queen-sized bed quilt in about eight months, so you will get better. Good luck!

Rob
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

Hello and welcome to the boards.

First, be kind and gentle to yourself. You didn't know what you didn't know. You may be able to correct the issue if you like or simply continue with the borders. This will become a well-loved quilt as you learned something from it.

Show pictures and ask questions if you need help.

Comment

If you can post a picture maybe we can tell you some different ways to fix it up without taking it completely apart. Don't feel bad, this is a thing we all needed to learn as beginners. It really helps to square up each block as you go so that when you put the rows together they all line up. I never square up a quilt after I finish it, you don't absolutely HAVE to do that. Don't be discouraged. Welcome to the Forum!

Comment

I agree with the others. Square up to the smallest block and complete your quilt. My first quilt (which was 22 years ago, and I still have today) has so many mistakes and flaws in it but it remains one of my favorites to this day. It started me on my journey and taught me a lot. I treasure it. Plus, I can look at it and see how far I have come. Through the years I hope you treasure your first quilt as much as I do mine.
              Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

You should see my first quilt. What a mess! What ever possessed me to make a pieced border to go around it? I don't know, but my Mom put it on her bed with pride.

Ask yourself, how do you want to proceed. Do YOU want to finish it? Does it make you nuts to think about it? Can you see progress in your blocks?

It it really bugged me, and I thought it might end up in the cedar chest hidden forever, I might think about making donation kennel blankets for the local animal shelter out of it and start fresh with a new pattern. Then remember all you've learned in the process.

Katrina
                “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on piecing you’re first quilt! We’ve all been in your shoes; my first quilt I didn’t know to square the squares either, but matched the seams by stretching the fabric - made for a wonky quilt top. The LAQ that finally quilted it for me (more than 20 years later) had to stretch the top to get it to lay flat. I’m probably the only one that notices, as you’re likely the only one that will notice the quirks in your work once it’s finished.

Like the others have said, it’s up to you and how much extra effort you want to put into it. You don’t have to even make that decision now - you could always put it aside for a few months, and see how you feel about it after a break.

Comment

I square my blocks as I piece. Especially if a block has many pieces. After piecing a completed block I check for a squared block required by the pattern. This assures me the completed quilt top will be the
                    correct measurements.
                    This is a good lesson for new quilters to learn. There are no shortcuts in piecing a quilt top.
                    Your next quilt top will be better for lessons learned.

Comment

Working...
                    X