Please help me plan my first bed quilt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me plan my first bed quilt!

I am planning my first bed quilt. I am just waiting for my fabric to arrive. I have a queen size bed and want a drop on 3 sides...a 92 x 96 finished size. I am wanting to do a double sided quilt with one side being different than the other. I will use Apricot and Ash on the front and Juniper Berry on the back. I'm thinking about a disappearing 9 patch for the front, but I'm open to ideas! I'm not sure about the back yet.

Should I quilt as I go or get it long armed? I want to do the work myself, but only have a craft closet for space and a Singer Heavy Duty 4452. The task seems daunting but I'm not sure if I want someone else doing my work. It seems like it wouldn't be my quilt then.

If I quilt as I go then should I rag the back or finish the seams...I'm leaning towards the latter with a different block type on the back.

oh..And I really don't want to use sashing on the front.

Am I crazy?! 🤣
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

I don't think you're crazy. Honestly I would hand quilt it if you want to do it yourself. Yes it takes time but it's worth it if you're able. I hand quilted my first quilts. You can do simple stitch in the ditch. I was taught to lay it on a table after sandwiched and start quilting. There are videos on how to quilt large quilts on your machine as well. I've done a couple quilt as you go and honestly I find them stiff just my honest opinion. I like my quilts to be cozy. I would either do the same pattern on the back in a different colorway or something that compliments each other. I might even do like a 10" sqaure layout on the back to minimize seams. Be mindful there will be a lot of seams to quilt through. Good luck and can't wait to see what you decide!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much! My plan is to have Christmas/winter fabric on the back and flip it over during that time...duel purpose. What makes quilt as you go stiff? I've never done it yet. The baby quilt I did stitch in the ditch on my machine and had no problems. So I thought i would do that size sections sewn together. Yes...same size blocks on frint and back.

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm honestly not sure what makes it stiffer. I could be the kind I've done. The quilting is more dense. I'll attach a pic of one I'm doing. It's all flannel, christmas on both sides, two colorways.

• bubba
      bubba commented
      Editing a comment
      The quilting does make it stiffer. The more dense the quilting, the stiffer it will get.

Here's one in the works. I really think it has to do with denser quilting verses further apart quilting. I felt it again and its not bad but worth mentioning if your imagining like a comforter type quilt feel. 15993268579474587157282368007298.jpg1599326897104202548705149622243.jpg

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty! I imagine the sashing does help make the QAYG easier to achieve. What is a colorway? That makes sense...the denser quilting. This will be a coverlet over my main soft puffy bedding...an extra quilt for cold winter nights and a folded bed runner the rest of the time.

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds fantastic...I think it would work then to do Quilt as you go. Color way means I did the same pattern but different color schemes, It alternates those two blocks on each side. It's a bugger matching those vertical shashing strips.One side is blues and browns and other side is red, greens and browns. The more I show things the more I'm like wow I have a lot to finish lol

Since this is going to be your first bed quilt, I suggest you simplify your plans. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I wouldn’t try a double sided quilt on this quilt.

You said you want it to be Christmas on one side. Why not just make a Christmas quilt and get the feel of that much sewing. (Believe me when I say that making a large quilt is different than making a baby quilt.)Then send it out to be quilted and put the binding on it yourself when you get it back. We are already into September and most long armers have a cut off date in October if you want to have your quilt back in time for Christmas. If you would rather stitch in the ditch instead of sending it out, that’s an option.

A Double Slice or Disappearing Nine Patch would be an easy first bed quilt. Jenny has tutorials for making both of these. It’s easy to get overwhelmed with first quilts. A double sided quilt would stress me out and I have been quilting for almost 60 years. You can always learn to Quilt As You Go on another quilt.

As a new quilter, I feel it’s important to first learn the basics and later add to our skill set. This way you won’t get discouraged.

Just one Grandma’s opinion. I look forward to see what you make. Hugs....
    Last edited by Bubby; September 5, 2020, 02:20 PM.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, Barb. I feel beginning quilters need to work with more simple patterns before starting on a big project. Depending on the depth of your queen mattress, you may want to consider a longer drop length for the sides & bottom, unless you plan to use a dust ruffle. I like my quilts plenty long enough to tuck in, & plenty of drape on the sides, too.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice Bubby! Wow...60 years of quilting! You are definitely experienced!! I have thought about 2 completely different tops and having a long armer quilt it together. 2 separate quilts is a good idea as well. I am not expecting this to be done any time soon. I have a lot of other projects and commitments. I gave myself a 2 year goal with hopes of getting it done in 1.

I still would prefer the quilt as you go plan but i would definitely practice the technique on a small project first if I decide to do it that way. I do remember getting tired of the baby quilt as I was nearing the end. I figure the bed quilt the way I had in mind with 2 sides would be 24 times as much as that! Yikes! I will definitely think on it.

Thanks Joy! I measured to the top of my bed frame...I want that to show. This will be a coverlet. I will have a duvet under it. The quilt will be for extra warmth if i need it and to look pretty against my white duvet (one day a whole cloth quilted white duvet cover or quilt??) as a runner on the bottom. The fabrics stacked on my dresser were f4om my stash...my first choice before I discovered this site and wuilt shop lol.20200905_124641.jpg
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

I haven't done a QAYG yet, but I have watched a ton of tutorials on them. They are not all the same. Some are done on foundation paper like doing a log cabin. Some have sashing and some don't. etc. This blogger has a series on doing it that I like. Don't pay attention to the subject matter unless your going to do applique on every block. lol It's how she puts it together that seems really easy to me. The link is all of them.
      https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...orld&FORM=AWVR
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much! I will definitely check them out.

If you wanted a 2 sided quilt and a rag quilt being one side that would be pretty easy. Side one could be any fabric with Christmas as the back, flannel in the middle voila one side is one fabric ragged the back is Christmas and no ragged edges.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        So flannel goes in the middle instead of batting with ragging?? Sorry...I haven't ragged anything before.

• Claire Hallman
        Claire Hallman commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't made one either but that is my understanding.
    Working...
    X