How hard will this be to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard will this be to do?

As many of you know, I've designed a quilt surrounding the life of Abraham Lincoln. I've done some updating to it, removing some blocks and adding others, but I would like to ask everyone here about something else. If you focus in on the corner blocks you will notice that they are slightly bigger than the others. I did this purposefully so as to introduce the subject of those blocks that follow. If you notice in the center where the pictures are located, that background fabric has a chunk taken out of each of the four corners so as to accommodate the bigger blocks and the border surrounding them. Will that be hard to do insofar as cutting and sewing the inner piece to the outer row of blocks, or am I overthinking it?

Thanks!

Rob
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

I'm not as experienced as some of the other quilters here but it looks like you could "frame" the corner blocks. In the photo the amount of space between the outside blocks and in the inner blocks is not even all the way around. I would make them even so you could add an extra strip of the background fabric to the 4 blocks between the corners so that they will be the same size as the corners. Hopefully someone else will jump in here and give you some ideas, too.
    Carlie

Comment

I stared at it a log time, what if...You treated the whole center as a panel, place your frame on top of it and applique it down? Just thinking outside the box.📦
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Go ahead and build your blocks, then frame as necessary to make them all fit together.
        TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

you can add a strip to fit the smaller blocks to the corner blocks, then add the center section. it is all measuring. just fit things like a puzzle. easy to do. i love graph paper! take some time to work it out and go for it. it will look great when done.

Comment

You guys are awesome! Sometimes I think I make things too hard. The solution was staring me in the face all along. I've attached what I'm talking about.

Rob
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
            --Ken Burns

Comment

I like the way you changed it up.
              Carlie

Comment

I saw the same you just need a two patch on the bottom of the over sized block.

Comment

I am the lone ranger here, always commenting on something you did not even ask about. I think your quilt is terrific and you have obv put alot of thought and time into it. But since there is alot going on there, your blocks are pretty busy, I think you need to change your borders and/or sashing to solids, like maybe just black.I am not familiar with your software but could you save what you have and (without too much trouble) print out a second layout with solids? Just a thought.

I guess it would be fair to tell you that I am not a border person so maybe that's why your floral border bothers me. I do not put borders on my quilts but maybe that's just me.
                  Last edited by jjkaiser; September 3, 2020, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
                    Rob the HOAQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh yeah, I can basically change anything on there and save it, and I will have not only the new version but every other version I've done. On this quilt I have 72 different iterations to go back to.

Thanks for your comment. My whole point for making it busy (which I agree, it is) is to suggest the Victorian flavor of Lincoln's time. However, I definitely will give some thought to what you've said.

Thanks!

Rob

• Hulamoon
                    Hulamoon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Maybe switch the two inner borders around so the darker one is around the blocks. since your still playing around with it.

I like the first version with the corner blocks over-set on the inside blocks. I would make the top and bottom border (framing the inside blocks) as wide as the vertical borders.

In other words, If you are framing the inside blocks with 2 inch borders, make them the same all around until the outside corner blocks.

Comment

Working...
                  X