Attaching rope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attaching rope

I just bought some decorative rope and I'm not sure how to attach it to the edge of quilt. Can you please help.

As far as I know there are special feet for that. There's usually a certain stitch as well. Sorry I'm not more help!

Comment

If you look up attaching rope to a pillow some things pop up. There is rope already attached to a fabric tape so you can sandwich it, but since you already have the rope maybe you could sew it to some seam tape. I forgot to save a picture.I'll go back and find it,

http://sew-passionate.blogspot.com/2...tive-cord.html
      Last edited by Hulamoon; September 2, 2020, 08:40 PM.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

The easiest way is if your machine has a couching foot. That foot is specifically made for this type of application.
        Debbie

Comment

I'm late to this party as usual. When you say "attach it to the edge of the quilt," do you mean as piping as binding between the top and back at the edge? Or just stitched down near the edge as embellishment?

Piping as the edge finish requires the "rope" requires a flange of sorts to be sewn to one side and joined pillowcase style and turned out.

As embellishment you would attach it using whatever method is required. When you say rope what size are we talking? To me rope is 1/4" plus. I have a dedicated couching machine and it will no way handle 1/4 inch. And I have never seen a foot with a center relief that large.
          You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Originally posted by Good4115 View Post
            I just bought some decorative rope and I'm not sure how to attach it to the edge of quilt. Can you please help.
            I think just whipping in on by hand would be the easiest unless it is very tiny rope.

Comment

I think the OP meant too say cord
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Did something like this myself quite a while ago. From what I remember I wrapped a strip of fabric around the rope so that I had a 'flange' at the side which I lined up between the edges of the top and back fabric (as mentioned by oldmanquilts above). Used a zipper foot to be able to stitch close to the rope - but you already have the decorative rope that you want to show so that might not what you want. Hope you can work this one out😉 🤔

Comment

• Hulamoon
                  Hulamoon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The link I posted showed just that.

• sewUK
                  sewUK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ooops Hulamoon - didn't see that. Great minds think alike!
              Working...
              X