Cutting WOF on border fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting WOF on border fabric

The fabric I want to use for the border on my Regiments quilt is directional. I want to have the soldier in the image facing the same direction on all four borders, but to do that I would have to cut the top and bottom WOF. To cut it otherwise would require too much piecing. I know some stretching will happen, so I cut a sample piece on the Accuquilt and it really doesn't seem too much. However, I would like to hear from others what they faced doing it this way. I found three yards at a fabric store in Kansas and have it on order just in case. Thoughts?

Rob
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

I've done it several times. if you look on my thread today with the Irish chain Disney princess fabric quilt, it's what I did. I would get enough length where you could cut the horizontal borders first then have enough length to cut the vertical to fit. You'll have extra, just put it on the back. That's what I do. You have to buy backing anyway so I convince myself I would have had to spend the same regardless.

Comment

I often cut borders from the WOF with no issues.
      *~* Myrna *~*
      *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

While it's true, WOF has a little bit of stretch (compared to length of fabric), the difference should not deter you from cutting your top and bottom border from WOF. Just take your time, and be careful when you sew those border pieces to your quilt, don't pull on (or hold tightly) the border fabric, let your sewing machine guide it thru the feed dogs, your main job is to just keep the fabric raw edges lined up with each other.

Comment

I cut the majority of my borders WOF. When I am in a situation like yours I cut the top and bottom borders first (WOF) and then cut the sides LOF. It has always worked well, though it takes some extra fabric to cut this way. I don’t find it necessary to cut all my borders LOF. WOF and LOF are both considered to be straight of grain. WOF has a little more ease to it.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have only 1 quilt where I cut the directional fabric LOF for the side borders. Now I cut everything WOF & position the pattern facing out on those side borders. The top & bottom borders are okay directionally, but sometimes I face them outward, too. A case in point would be this baby quilt. This was a panel baby quilt to which I added borders & did an all over quilting pattern. I faced each border to the outside. I think it's quilter's choice as to how you do it.

All Creatrures Panel Quilt - Jan., 2019 001-Res 40.jpg

All Creatrures Panel Quilt - Jan., 2019 002-Res 40.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X