Help with Mountain Lilly Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Mountain Lilly Block

I am trying to make the Mountain Lilly quilt. My blocks measure and square perfectly up until I put the triangle pieces on. The block should measure 11 1/2 unfinished. Mine is closer to 12 1/2. What on earth am I doing wrong? It's making me crazy!

Do you have a pic? We can usually be helpful if we can see the block.

Comment

I went to Jenny's tutorial for a quick browse through to determine how the block is made. I have not made this pattern. The only thing I can suggest is to be consistent & careful with the cutting, & sew a consistent 1/4" seam. Jenny's comment at the last is that each block should be trimmed to the same size. It sounds like there may be some wiggle room there with the trimming. Just be consistent. Hope it works out okay for you.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to make a practice block out of other fabrics (scraps) to "get the hang of it".

Comment

This is the block. Sorry about the orientation! Any help is appreciated.nnThanks
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

JCY, thanks for the hints. I made a practice block up to the 8 1/2 inch center. Everything was perfect. It's something with the triangles that is making it off. I have a feeling these blocks will end up 12 inch instead of 11 1/2. My strips are all the right size as are the corner squares, but I must have something not right!

Comment

I watched part of it on YouTube to check for comments. Does this mean anything to you? I didn't watch the whole video.

"The corner squares can only be 2 1/4" not 2 1/2" as the strip you are sewing to already has a 1/4" seam."
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Your pic shows ~1/4" beyond all the points along the edges, so you should be good. Just make sure they're all the same. When you make the triangles from sewing all the way around the LC squares, etc., are your quarter triangle sizes all the same size? I've noticed when I make HSTs (not quarters) from the LC cuts, none are exactly the same & I have to square them all. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by evy View Post
                This is the block. Sorry about the orientation! Any help is appreciated.nnThanks
                Is this the actual block you are saying finishes at 12+ inches? You have it set on your cutting board starting at the 1" mark (not zero) and I see it is only slightly over 11 inches.

I take it back- You have one of those mats that measure +1. Not 12, but 13X13. Sorry. I defer this to the others with comments.
                Last edited by oldmanquilts; September 1, 2020, 02:27 PM.
                You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

So I'm on my lunch hour and decided to look at the tutorial. You're not doing anything wrong. I went through the transcripts. Read below....just make all your blocks the same.

So I finished trimming this up and I found I was taking off, I have a really small quarter of an inch so I found I was taking off a little more than I thought I should. And really when you’re making a block what you want to remember is that all your blocks need to be the same size. So I did trim mine to 11 ½ and it’s fine. I did lose this little point right here but I don’t think that’s going to matter because it’s all on the white and the block looks great. I got a little nervous there because I felt like I was trimming off a lot. So if you happen to have a thinner quarter of an inch like I do, or like I did on this block, then you know, if it’s 11 ¾ what matter is that all your blocks are the same. And so just work for that and they should be fine.

Comment

If you have the 1/4 inch seam around the block, keep it at 12 1/2 inches. Make the other blocks and then square up if needed.

Keep them all the same and you'll be good with making the quilt.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I decided to make all the blocks to finish at 12 inches. Works fine that way. Also, re. the corner squares, I did initially make them 2 1/4 but found I lost my points doing it that way so went back to the 2 1/2 the pattern specifies.

Comment

Working...
                      X