Heat and bond lite issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat and bond lite issues

I have a question about heat and bond. I've never used it before. I usually use under wonder. The pattern recommended it so I thought ok. I bought it the other day and I'm working with and its hot or miss weather the glue 1 transfers to the fabric and when it does its hot or weather it works and seals the fabric.
    What am I doing wrong? Below is the pattern. The pic is what is happening. I'm continuing since they are all cut but I'll have to sew a seam down each side of the strips now.

https://terryatkinson.typepad.com/at...ic-basket.html
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Hard to see what's happening in the pic. But- Heat and Bond Lite is not a favorite fusible for me. It takes way more heat, and for a longer duration than they suggest. You also need to let it cool completely before attempting to remove the paper back. It's doable but don't be afraid to give it some heat. You're not trying this on a batik are you. It really sucks for that.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Here's some better pics...thanks I thought maybe I got a bad batch. I wont buy again, waste at least for me. I should have stuck with what worked.

I'm using a Kona jelly roll that was given to me. My bf likes the colors. I'm not a huge fan of Kona either but it has behaved and hardly any fraying.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I've done very little applique, but the only product I've ever used is the HeatnBond Feather Lite iron-on adhesive. I followed the instructions on the packaging + Jenny's instructions & didn't have any problems with it. Of course, I was appliqueing smaller pieces, not strips. I used it on the Broken Orange Peel quilt as well as that Circle of Comfort quilt. I read somewhere that one might need to allow the fabric to cool before attempting to remove the paper.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
          Momofmonsters5 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm trying to let it cool longer to see if that's my issue..I know I'm hearing long enough!

I can see your using it for the basket. That's going to look really handsome!

I used to use wonder light all the time with no problems. That was until it got really old. The film would separate from the paper. It was useless after that.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

That happened to me once..not fun!! I buy that one by the bolt.

Comment

Have you already used the Decor bond fusible interfacing in the first step? I use Heat'n Bond Lite all the time with my fusible appliqué and have no problem, but I am stitching around the shapes. If you think the product is getting old, put it into a plastic bag in the freezer for a few days, and for some reason, this seems to help.

Comment

I have used Heat N Bond Lite for many of my machine applique quilt projects over the years. Since I have the exact same iron as you have shown in the one picture, depending on the type of fabric I'm using I will usually set my iron to the Polyester setting with no steam before fusing my fabrics. It might take a few seconds longer on that setting, but it fuses it quite nicely and it won't burn the fabrics. With using Heat N Bond Lite once you have done fusing the fabrics, just give it a couple of minutes to cool before removing the paper from the back. If you start peeling the paper off and notice that it still didn't adhere, just re iron for a couple of seconds longer.
              A Helpful Tip: When removing the paper, use a sewing pin and score the paper side a few times.
              Hope this information helps.
              Happy Quilting.Hugs Katie

Comment

Working...
              X