Binding by machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binding by machine

I don't have any trouble with binding. I always machine sew a double binding on the front then hand stitch to the back. I am almost finished with a quilt now and I am just so tired of looking at it I want to be done. Just the thought of hand hemming a queen size at this point, just ugh. Is there some kind of method where you can machine stitch the binding to front and back at the same time? Or a video I can watch or something? Do you miter the corners the same way and is there anything else I need to know? Thanks.

Man Sewing (Rob Appell) has a you tube video about sewing binding completely with a machine that is easy to follow. You may want to check that out.

Comment

When I use the machine I sew on the back and wrap to the front to sew down. I haven't figured out a measurement that makes the sewing even on front and back. I miter the corners they come out perfect. I usually have a line on the back where I've sewn to the front.

Comment

• sydneybean
        sydneybean commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the way I do mine. It doesn't bother me if there is a sewing line on the back either. And no one has ever returned a quilt to me because of it.

I use machine binding on all my quilts now. Hand stitching takes forever, & my arthritic hands no longer are up to the task. (But I was machine binding before my hands got worse.) It's just quicker & easier. I use 2.5" wide binding, folded in half. I do not iron it ahead of time. I sew the binding to the front, then turn it to the back. The trick is to use a sewing gauge & pin the binding the same width all the way around. When you get it just right, you can sew SITD on the front & it will catch it on the back. When I have everything pinned, then I press both the front & the back of the binding so the fabric lays down smoothly. I use a 3.0 length stitch. I hit it right on most of the time. I might have to make a minor adjustment at a corner or two. I hand sew down the corners on the back to secure them well. You can practice sewing binding strips to a sandwiched sample block to get the hang of it. Good luck!

Comment

You could do it a dress makers way. I just happened to watch this yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fJUoKEt-Ms
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• 201 Treadler
          201 Treadler commented
          Editing a comment
          I use one of these binding feet,
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2XJW3rhH3w
          and quilting pegs, it is possible to get the mitred corners, but need to sew to about 1/4 from end,
          remove foot and quilt together, slide foot along binding , fold corner, peg, then insert quilt back in binding foot, slide back up to corner reattach to sewing machine, line up needle,on sewn line generally place binding around the quilt and add pegs before sewing start sewing to corner removing the pegs as go. fiddly but sews both sides at once, iron and make own binding.
          janome have a dedicated foot for high shank models. that looks a lot easier perhaps quicker.

Hi Joycelyn,

Here is a machine binding video from Donna Jordan that might be helpful. I machine bind all my quilts but haven't tried this exact technique yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQgjp4Upt8w&t=1016s
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Pam. This is the best video on machine binding I’ve watched. My next binding will be done by machine.

• Hulamoon
          Hulamoon commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, she made that look so easy. I'm wondering though, why is there 801 thumbs down?
          Last edited by Hulamoon; August 19, 2020, 11:31 AM.

Jenny has a nice tutorial on flange binding. Looks really nice and it's easy to do. Just use the same color thread in the bobbin as was used in the quilting.
        https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...uri+star+quilt
        Vonnie

Comment

Working...
        X