Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batik wall hanging

Batik placed.jpgBATIK IMAG2222.jpg
    So - I started with a bundle of mis-shaped different sized scraps of batik not knowing how many squares I could get out of it and whether I would have enough of those squares to make a 'round'. Eventually laid it out and at least got a design out of it. Pieces bundled together in order of strips so organised ... at the moment! Question is would you try to create a border or just go for a binding - think border wouldn't work somehow. What do you think?
    Attached Files

I don't know how large the wall hanging will be, but my instinct is to just bind it. I think a border would distract from those beautiful colors. Just MHO. Nice that you were able to come up with this design.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

On the other side of the fence, I would add a border to the wall-hanging. A border will bring a "stop" to all those squares. Do you have any more of the dark fabric used in the center part of the wall-hanging? They look brown and teal perhaps.

Comment

I'm in the border camp, too; I'm thinking a solid or subtle tone-on-tone to contain the busy-ness of the batiks.

Comment

You can lay whatever border fabric you would use next to your layout and at least get an idea of how it would look. That's always how I audition border fabrics. If this were mine, I would just do binding.
          ~ Carol from PA

Comment

I would probably just do binding, as well. It's beautiful!!

Comment

It's funny, the lady who taught me to quilt taught me not to use borders. Now very few quilts don't have them. I like good size projects. I like things for use. I would use it as a table topper versus a wall hanging. I would border it. I would do a flange border with the dark green brown then a brighter border 2" finished of one of the brights you want to shine.

Comment

I'm in the border camp as well. A border will frame the bright batiks beautifully
                Keep the Faith

dizzyLiz

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=1196342

Comment

I think I would do a small border. Cut a strip and audition it and see what you think.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thanks everyone - seems the border wins the day - mmmmm? I think I'll do what Bubby suggests and audtion both.

Comment

No need to cut the border fabric, just fold it and put it under the top until the right amount is showing. Step back and see if you like it. Maybe look again in a few hours.

Comment

Working...
                      X