Wedding/Signature quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding/Signature quilt

I am making a signature quilt for my friend and his bride. I’ve picked out my pattern but have received differing opinions about washing my white fabric prior cutting and preparing the fabric into 6.5” squares for signatures/well wishes.

Do I wash the fabric first? Thank you so much!

What fabric are you using for signatures. Are you backing each area for signature? Do you know of a site to go for answers? Many thanks. New to this and sometimes my ideas are greater than my abilities.

Comment

Kona white, cotton fabric for the signature squares.

Comment

yes i would think washing the fabric would help signatures stay better. Micron Pigma pens .05 size are great. I always heat set them just to be sure. swapped siggies all around the world so on some i even went over signatures and then heat set if they were too light. Have fun and good luck.

Comment

Great - thank you so much!

Comment

Thanks for the info on the fabric and pens. Someone told me fine sharpie would work too. Thanks for your help and good luck with your quilt. It will be a treasured gift.

Comment

I would be leery of using Sharpies, as they are not archival quality. They can and do fade over time (see link below). I'm also not sure if they might cause damage to the fabric. Sharpies are not archival quality.

https://shellielewis.wordpress.com/2...arpie-markers/

As for pre-washing, this article suggests pre-washing, then starching heavily. She also evaluates all kinds of pens.

http://quiltingdigest.com/which-perm...st-for-quilts/

Comment

You can press a piece of freezer paper onto the back of each square for extra stability when people are signing the blocks. It will pull off when you are ready to sew the blocks. I do this when making labels, too.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I’ve done a few signature quilts and always prewash the fabric. The sizing used in the fabric could cause the ink not to penetrate causing the signatures to easily wash out. I suggest that you do a trial with the pen and fabric you’re planning to use, having several different people sign them (as everyone uses different pressure when they write) and washing that piece a half-dozen times. Do one sample on unwashed and one on prewashed fabric.
                  Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

What a lovely gift! My tip is to mark the stitching line on each square with a Frixion or other disappearing ink pen, so when people sign their names they don't go all the way to the raw edge of the square. You'd be surprised how many people don't realize they mustn't write in the seam allowance.

Comment

Working...
                    X