Rag Quilt from Batik?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rag Quilt from Batik?

I'm attempting to rescue some pineapple blocks which are dreadful with warping. I've learned a ton about cutting, fabric grain, and pressing from this project and I continue to assemble the project as practice for my 1/4 inch seams.

Question - when I'm done - do you think it would work to use the blocks in a rag quilt or will the batiks not fray? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I have made rag quilts but only with flannel, but I have used batiks in other quilts and my guess is they wouldn't rag or fray hardly at all bc they are tightly woven. Rag quilts are usually made with flannel using a half inch seam. Flannel will shrink more than batiks, so if used together in the same quilt it might turn out wonky. If you really want to try it anyway, I would make a small sample of 16-ish inches, bind the edges, rag it and wash it and see how the batik behaves.

Comment

• srgreene
      srgreene commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I sort of thought the same thing.

I just read your post again. Do you have a quarter inch presser foot with seam guide? The seam guide is part of the foot and has a ridge on the right side of the foot. It is amazing how your accuracy will improve a hundred percent if you have one!

Comment

• srgreene
      srgreene commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks if it makes sense, I can't see fast enough to use the guide foot. I need more runway and have most luck with tape.

if you do decide to do a rag quilt later on, use 1/2 inch seams. they "rag" better.

Comment

• Bubby
      Bubby commented
      Editing a comment
      I make my seams for rag quilts 5/8” because I like full edges. I’m pretty sure ragging batik fabric wouldn’t work very well due to the fabric being woven so tight to begin with. I always use three layers of flannel (no batting).

• srgreene
      srgreene commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tips. I see a buffalo plaid flannel rag quilt in my future but not a batik. I'll keep practicing on the pineapples and maybe by the end I can sash them into shape or trim them down.

Batiks don’t ravel and is not a good choice for a rag quilt.
    you need to use a fabric that ravels.
    100% cottons are the best choice.
    Quilters always have cottons on hand
    Never make a rag quilt for a baby.
    The raveling is a choking hazard.

Comment

Working...
    X