Quilting suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting suggestions?

Good morning! I’m new to this, so I’m still finding my way around. Looking for suggestions on how to quilt this string quilt that I made from my scraps from other quilts and projects I have made. I was thinking “bubbles” - other suggestions would be appreciated. It was a fun quilt to make and it made me happy to be able to use up the scraps that I just could make myself toss out!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I am not able to give you any suggestions, but I would like to welcome you to the forum. Lovely quilt!

Comment

That is a very pretty quilt! I agree that "bubbles" would work well. Anything roundish would show up well against the quilt's blocks...even a simple meander.

Comment

Your quilt is gorgeous! I agree that anything curved would work well.
        ~ Carol from PA

Comment

Glad to hear from more experienced quilters that I am not off base in thinking that the quilting should be “roundish”. My thinking is that something with curves would contrast nicely with all the straight lines, and soften all those lines!,

Comment

Great quilt - one of the best 'scrappies' I've come across. Well done

Comment

What a beautiful string quilt. I've never seen one laid out like this. I love the way you laid it out with the center & the neutrals. I'm not familiar with "bubbles". Is that a pantograph pattern? I do all my own FMQ; I use a lot of Angela Walters' designs. I also was thinking rounded or circles, or meander feathers, even paisley feathers. I'm sure whatever you decide it will be lovely.

Comment

Oh gosh if you can do bubbles that would look outstanding. different but beautiful. I say go for it! now!!

Comment

Beautiful quilt! Yes, bubbles would be pretty.
                  Vonnie

Comment

Questions ~ What is the width of your strings? Did you paper piece them? What is the size of your blocks?

Comment

I cut my strips 1 1/4 inches wide. And yes, I pieced them on 10 x10 paper. Sorted my scrap strips into piles a
                      of lights and darks and sewed away without overthinking it. I did put one “bright” strip somewhere in the dark side of each square. Thought it would give it some pizzazz- I am pretty happy with the way it turned out, considering that when I started, my purpose was to shrink the size of my scrap basket, and wasn’t looking for a work of art. My sister in law loves it- May end up being her Christmas gift! 😉

Comment

Have you looked at the MSQC website link where you can have your quilt quilted by MSQC? They have a lot of patterns there for quilting....maybe you can get an idea from there? (I don't mean to send the quilt to Missouri Star to be quilted.....but you can look at their options they have online.)
                        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• Paula2111
                          Paula2111 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good idea!

Paula....here's the link for Missouri Star Quilt Company's QUILTING SERVICE. I just thought you could look on there to choose a pattern from all the patterns MSQC has.
                        (this isn't to suggest you send your quilt to MSQC of course, although I know people who have sent their quilts to MSQC and are VERY pleased! )
                        https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/machinequilting

MSQC has so many awesome patterns. I haven't used their service but know people that have done so and they are VERY pleased with MSQC's work!

Your quilt is AWESOME.....Gorgeous and well-done!!
                        Last edited by redcaboose1717; August 12, 2020, 03:46 PM.
                        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

When I started doing my own quilting, I can't remember if I read it or someone told me...the rule of thumb with quilting...if your quilt is designed with straight lines quilt curves, rounded or circles. If your quilt is designed with curves, rounded or circles quilt straight lines. I've used it somewhat over the years when I stumped! Love your quilt design!!

Comment

That's a beautiful quilt. The first thing that came to my mind was the Baptist Fan for quilting. They even have rulers & templates & stencils for that but if you don't have a ruler/template/stencil, here is a site that might help you when it comes to marking the lines. The quilt is going to finish off really pretty no matter what pattern you decide on.

https://quiltyfolk.blogspot.com/2014...ptist-fan.html

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                              Claire Hallman commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks for that link, I learned a lot. I am not a hand quilter but I think it would work just as well to machine quilt. It is a lot of marking since I generally like to start in the center and work out.

• Paula2111
                              Paula2111 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I had to look up Baptist Fan - and I agree, I think that would work very nicely with the quilt. Thanks for the suggestion!
                          Working...
                          X