How to make quilt labels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make quilt labels?

My handwriting isn’t great so In the past I’ve used the computer. I’ve printed on Printed Treasures sheets several times but I always struggle to get the backing off. It starts to peal off, then rips, then I use a pin for hours to pick the rest off. I’ve followed original and updated instructions with same results. I tried ironing a piece of muslin to freezer paper and feeding thru my printer, but it didn’t feed smoothly and the result was awful.
    people on this forum have great ideas and suggestions, so I’m hoping someone can help.
    thanks

I like June Taylor's. It's the pink package. Really easy to use. These were made years ago and have minimum fading. I've done quite a few memory quilts and labels with it.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I've been making my own quilt labels using fabric sheets on the computer for several years. I'm able to get several labels on the same sheet. In order to remove the backing I use a quilting pin & very carefully pick at the corner just enough to lift up the edge. Then the back peels off just fine.

Comment

• Syracuselax
        Syracuselax commented
        Editing a comment
        What brand of fabric sheets do you use?

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        I use Jacquard brand cotton Inkjet Fabric Sheets. It's a 10-sheet pack, 8.5" x 11". I order them off Amazon. I first saw these demonstrated by a speaker at a quilt show. She had made a memory quilt with lots of family photos. I make a Word doc., using bold print. After the sheet is printed, I
        use the iron with a sheet of typing/computer paper in between to press & set the ink. I usually include the name of the pattern, pieced & quilted by______, & the date. If the quilt is a special gift to someone or a special occasion, you can add as much info. to the label as you want. The edges need to be pressed under. I hand sew the label on the lower R. corner of the backing after the quilt is finished. I haven't bought any label sheets for a while. The last time I did, they were ~$10./pack. There are complete instructions inside the pkg. Just remember to turn your sheet upside down when placing it in the paper tray.

This is a good question & I'm looking forward to more answers. I've tried the freezer paper method also but it did not turn out good. I need a different alternative.

Comment

I drew one up in Photoshop and tiled it on a FQ layout (18x22”), then had it printed through Spoonflower. It cost about $10 for a set of about 16-18, depending on size. I left an area for the name of the recipient and the year so that’s all I have to write in. Turned out beautifully! The pic isn’t great, but it’s printed on white cotton.
        Attached Files
        Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

• Vonnie
          Vonnie commented
          Editing a comment
          Thats really nice! We use Spoonflower a lot.

Whenever this question comes up I always suggestion the method by Crafty Gemini - made with freezer paper and an inkjet printer. So easy and no picky peeling - paper peels off and printing can be used again. As you can see one done a while ago.

image_118323.doc

Comment

• Syracuselax
          Syracuselax commented
          Editing a comment
          I did try this because it was so easy and cheap but my printer didn’t feed the fabric/freezer paper correctly and the result was a mess. So I’m looking for another option. Perhaps I’ll give this method another try. Thanks

Originally I fused a soft interfacing to the muslin I used for labels. The muslin was treated, fused and starched and trimmed to 8.5 by 11. This allowed it to feed through the printer just fine. I never got into the "photo fabric" due to cost. None of my labels are ever the same shape so I never could get more than one label per sheet. They were fine but I was never happy with the sharpness of the print.

So... I went the real economy route and bought an embroidery machine. I always wanted one for labels but couldn't justify the expense until I had the need for one for other projects.
        You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Originally posted by oldmanquilts View Post
          Originally I fused a soft interfacing to the muslin I used for labels. The muslin was treated, fused and starched and trimmed to 8.5 by 11. This allowed it to feed through the printer just fine. I never got into the "photo fabric" due to cost. None of my labels are ever the same shape so I never could get more than one label per sheet. They were fine but I was never happy with the sharpness of the print.

So... I went the real economy route and bought an embroidery machine. I always wanted one for labels but couldn't justify the expense until I had the need for one for other projects.
          That's funny - the real economy route and bought an embroidery machine! I've considered doing this myself. Especially when I hand embroidered a label that seemed to take me all day! May I ask which embroidery machine you got and are you happy with it?
          I am Sew Blessed!
          Alina

Comment

• oldmanquilts
            oldmanquilts commented
            Editing a comment
            I got a Janome 400E. I haven't used it a ton, but have done 30-40 finished designs on really light fabric, dish towels, and heavy denim, and some in between. Yes, I think it does a great job. The learning curve wasn't out of this world so that's good. The stitch quality is very good. I bought this model for the 8x8 hoop. There are larger hoops but- 10x6 limits one to a 6 inch design on one axis. Any of the larger square hoops was out of my price range. I feel like this a good all-around size.

June Tailor Iron On Quilt Label Fabric sheets. I love the label designs.....

June Tailor Labels.jpgQuilters Gonna Stash Label 08.06.20.jpgSawtooth Star Mini Label 08.02.20.jpgPositively Plus Label 07.27.20.jpgNeedle Pulling Thread Label 07.27.20.jpg
          Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

• amartin24
            amartin24 commented
            Editing a comment
            Shermur, do these wash well? If I print labels on my printer, I soak them in vinegar afterward to set the ink. Do you do the same?

• shermur
            shermur commented
            Editing a comment
            I have never soaked the labels in vinegar. As the labels are iron on; the heat from the iron sets the ink. Washing my projects in cold water and hang dry, the labels are still fine.

Have you looked at Sweetwater labels? https://sweetwater.cratejoy.com/

I started using them this year. They have a label club club. I look forward to seeing whats new each month.
          Diana Grey

Comment

Working...
          X