To Pre-wash or not??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Pre-wash or not??

I am a beginner quilter and can't seem to find this question addressed - When using precuts you obviously can't pre wash them - so should you pre-wash the other fabric for the quilt (background, borders) or not? I am just finishing my first quilt (Tranquil Triangles) and I didn't wash any of the fabric which may prove to be a mistake. I have already purchased material for my next quilt which uses charm squares so I would like some feedback from experienced quilters before I start it.

Hi & Welcome to the forum.
    pre washing is a personal choice but I think the consensus is to never wash precuts. Personally I don’t wash any of my fabrics before cutting. I like the sizing in them, it seems to help stabilize the fabric when I cut. Also, I really HATE ironing yardage.. lol
    that being said I ALWAYS wash the finished quilt with color catchers the first time. Most often there is hardly any trace for dyes running. In my experience Batiks are the fabrics to watch out for when it comes to dyes bleeding. But I’ve always had good luck just washing the finished quilt with the color catchers.
    im sure many others here on the Forum will chime in about their preferred methods & experiences.
    enjoy your quilting. Its a wonderful relaxing hobby
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I'm the same, I never prewash as I hate ironing yardage as well. I've been quilting for over 15 years never had an issue, not once. I use color catchers on the finished project. I also inspect before it hits the dryer the first time just in case. I've done all kinds of quilts, applique, flannel, batiks, precuts. I was given fabric that had been prewashed and I find it to be messy to work with ..just my opinion the edges are all frayed and threads everywhere. It's a personal choice though you'll find for both sides.

Comment

I do prewash my Yardage but not the precuts. I do not use the precuts when using the washed fabric. I have had some issues with red fabrics bleeding a little so I’m very leery of not pressing those.
        Carlie

Comment

The only fabrics I pre-wash are flannel, and sometimes not even then. I never use Color Catchers; I can't stand the fragrance. I wash finished quilts in cold water & mild soap on a gentle cycle. If it's going to be a gift, I sometimes do not even wash the quilt.

Comment

The only yardage I prewash is when it is bought for clothing projects, kids shorts, jammies, skirts etc... I made the mistake of prewashing precuts once, and once was definitely enough, NEVER AGAIN. What a fraying mess!

Comment

I don’t prewash anything but flannel. I only wash flannel because it often shrinks so much more than quilting cotton. Don’t wash precuts. I wash my quilts when they are done in cold water with Color Catcher sheets. It’s also important not to leave a wet quilt in the washer tub for very long. A lot of dye transfer happens when the fabric is wet and touching other fabric.

Welcome to the forum!
              Last edited by Bubby; August 8, 2020, 04:59 AM.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I always thought that if any fabric was not prewashed in a quilt, then none were prewashed. This would allow for equal shrinkage of all pieces. By that theory, if any fabric is prewashed, then all should be. Since precuts are not prewashed, then no other fabric should be either. Just one way of thinking.
                sigpic

Comment

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/fo...shing-pre-cuts
                Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I don't prewash anything except flannel. I have never had a problem when washing the completed quilt. I put a few color catchers in a small lingerie bag . I have a front loading washing machine and this keeps them from ending up in the seal. Or I have pinned them to the quilt

Comment

I only wash fabric from odd sources like yard sales. I have mixed washed and unwashed in the same quilt with no problems but I have only been quilting about 8 years. I think you could wash a precut by hand if really necessary and then dry flat. I have machine washed things as small as a fat quarter without problems, you do get strings though.

Comment

I am a firm believer in pre-washing, but I no longer wash pre-cuts. I did once, and lost too much fabric from fraying. Having said that, I do have a quilt top where I mixed unwashed pre-cuts with pre-washed fabric. I'm really scared about what will happen when I finally get this one quilted and eventually washed. But the yardage was from a big retailer and was much more loosely woven than the Missouri Star pre-cut fabrics, so I felt that pre-shrinking was important. Hopefully, the quilting will stabilize any variable shrinkage.
                      Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Thanks everybody! I am glad to hear I am not the only one who hates ironing pre-washed fabric. I think I am going to go with the opinions not to pre-wash anything and see how it goes. I use color catcher sheets all the time so I will definitely use them. I do agree with JCY about the smell of them I wish they were unscented.

I am a knitter and share CarlieBlilie's fear of red - it is the one color in a piece that I am really leery of getting wet to block - usually just steam block anything with red.

I loved reading everybodies responses -- I am a homebody and usually pretty happy to just stay home with the dogs, horses and my garden but my knitting group isn't meeting and I have missed the camaraderie of sharing project successes and problems.

Thanks again! I'll post a pic when I get the quilt done - just finishing the outer border now and trying to decide if I want to try and quilt it myself or send it off the MSQC.

Comment

Hello and welcome from Wisconsin! No don't ever wash precuts. I only prewash flannel yardage and muslin yardage bc it shrinks so much. I don't even iron it, just smooth out the wrinkles by hand. It's going to get wrinkled when I quilt it anyway (if used for backing). I know what you mean about red bleeding it is a little scary. Right now I am working on a hot pink/orange/red Kaffe quilt with lots of white squares so I hope with color catchers all those whites don't turn pink and peach. But it is for my 9 yo gd so she probably wouldn't notice. Or care!

Comment

Welcome to the board. So glad you are here & hope you are enjoying it here.

I never pre-wash any of my fabrics. I did have a red that bled in a doll quilt I once made. So I decided to wash the rest of that red fabric that I had left over. It bled so bad in the washer you would have thought it had been alive & I killed it in there! I washed it several times & it never stopped bleeding so I stuck it in a drawer & it hasn't seen the light of day since. Not sure what I will ever do with it but thankfully it's not a lot of fabric.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                              GuitarGramma commented
                              Editing a comment
                              If you have enough, make a one block wonder. The originator, Maxine Rosenthal, has made some incredibly beautiful monochromatic quilts using a single fabric. Otherwise, make a blouse that you hand wash!
                          Working...
                          X