Applique pattern, do I need stabilizer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applique pattern, do I need stabilizer?

I'm going to take on a big (for me) applique project, "Sweet Snow quilt along". The designer is an illustrator now working with Riley Blake and says this is only her second quilt & is not an expert.

https://greatjoystudio.com/blog/

So, some of the blocks have a number of small pieces. Is it best to use some kind of stabilizer that pulls away? The applique pieces are raw edge with Wonder-Under fusible. I'm planning to use a blanket stitch on a Juki DX5, but also want to use some fancier stitches to add some interest.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks,

Diana
    Diana Grey

I just finished an applique project, also with lots of small pieces, and found I got a much smoother finish using a tear-away stabilizer. I also had to turn down the tension on my Juki.
    That looks like a fun project! Enjoy, and look forward to seeing yours.
    Lyn

If I ever got it all together, I'd be too tired to do anything with it.
    🙄

Comment

You're using a fusible so you are going to fuse them to the other pieces or background, therefore a stabilizer isn't required. And, you don't want the extra bulk of a stabilizer under the fused pieces.
      You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

The first quilt I finished was a variation of Jenny's wallflower quilt, which involved appliqué. I used a satin stitch and found that a tear-away stabilizer really helped.

I think it also depends on the thickness of what you will be sewing through. If you are sewing a small piece on top of a couple of larger pieces, you may not need it.

I recommend doing a small sample and deciding what works best for you.

Comment

I seldom appliqué but when I do i
          use Eleanor Burns method.
          She uses a thin iron on stabilizer and stitches around the appliqué piece.
          Turns the piece inside out. Press your fabric piece to your background and press. This will hold the piece in place while you satin stitch it in place.
          Research for her full description.
          whatever method you decide to use I would suggest doing several sample pieces, maybe do an entire block.
          Applique is a technique you are good at or you are not. Some quilters like it and some, most I think, avoid it.
          so before you get started on a quilt be sure you can perfect the technique. Good luck.

Comment

For those of you who do use a stabilizer on applique, where do you place it? Back side of all pieces, under the last (top) piece?
            You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
              Momofmonsters5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, under the project. I've done eleanor's way as well but right now interfacing is hard to find.

Thanks for the imput. I'm going to stitch up some samples using different methods, threads, stabilizers, etc.
            Diana Grey

Comment

20200805_171129.jpg20200805_170654.jpg I applique a lot and use wonder under. I use a tear away under the fabric. There's a huge difference when you don't. It leave little puckers and pulls in the fabrics. Below is my 2015 or 2016 row by row. Even those tiny windows I stitched around. I do tons of raw edge. I will say this I will use paper as a stabilizer too. Works just the same. I had bought a pack of foundation paper and I don't paper piece that much. I wanted to show the back to show there is no bulk. The bulky row you see is because it had muslin backed on the blocks.
              Last edited by Momofmonsters5; August 5, 2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• Grey Lady
                Grey Lady commented
                Editing a comment
                Your quilt''s wonderful. Now I want quilt of the west too.

If you want any of the row patterns I'll send them to you. I won't make them again I did the next year to but need to buy the background fabric to put the rows together. I went all over NM for them. One is El Paso TX and one Austin where my sister lives.

Comment

• oldmanquilts
                oldmanquilts commented
                Editing a comment
                I see what you mean. My applique projects are smaller and less intensive so I didn't realize. Wouldn't a fusible tear-away embroidery stabilizer work as well? It's available. I love your quilt btw.

• Momofmonsters5
                Momofmonsters5 commented
                Editing a comment
                Absolutely it would work and thanks!!
            Working...
            X