Tips to cut fabric with lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips to cut fabric with lines

I try to avoid it, but it's growing in my stash. Any advice on cutting fabric with lines in it?

Like stripes? I often cut across the lines so as to not have wavy lines or be very, very careful when cutting along the line.

Comment

thanks for your input!!

yep. I have some fabric that has lines of hearts. It's very pretty, but I've been afraid I'll cut it crooked. It will be hard to sew that straight too. I've thought about just turning it into rag strips for rugs....I hate to do that though.

Comment

If the fabric has stripes, I think the best way to use it is in bias cut bindings--it is dramatic. Otherwise, hard to use, even cut crossways as the stripe tends to be "bossy".

Comment

Oh I like that idea! That sounds pretty. Thanks so much. I just might try that.

Comment

I too am afraid of stripes. Love them as a binding. For piecing.....scary! I wonder if starch would help? I’ve heard good things about it, just haven’t tried it. Just might for stripes.
            💫 Star lover

Comment

• ktdid
              ktdid commented
              Editing a comment
              Your right!!! starch it moderately, it won't ravel, and it won't stretch the bias.

If a stripe or obviously line type pattern I try to use it as a binding or if not cut it in smallest pieces in a pattern-a small piece seems to make an "off" stripe less obvious.
            One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

I was thinking fabric with the striped hearts, it wouldn't matter if it's off or at a angle, using Jenny's you've got mail ! pattern for the envelopes
              Kathryn
              Man, Despite His artistic pretensions, his sophistication, his many accomplishments, Owes his existence to a Six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact, That It Rains! anonymous

Comment

Depending on the size of your pieces it may not matter too much how straight the stripes come out. For the Christmas quilt (below) that I made, I cut the stripes on a diagonal just to avoid the appearance of them being crooked.

IMG_1377.JPGIMG_1378.JPG
                ~ Carol from PA

Comment

One of my favorite pattern calls sor stripes, check out Jenny's tutorial Quartered Striped.

Comment

all great suggestions, and thank you for your replies. I really like my fabric, but I just don't trust it. I put away my quilting for a long time, so I'm afraid to tackle some of the patterns I've seen here, but maybe I can save it for when I have a little more confidence. thanks again, and I will certainly keep the suggestions in mind!

Comment

Working...
                    X