Quilting Software program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting Software program

Aloha. As I am working on this memory quilt and have several different sizes that I had to cut because there are so many different size clothing pieces from the baby. I tried to keep them all the same as much as I could but didn’t work out to well. I had a light bulb thought. Is there software out there that I could put the different sizes and could fit them And lay them out on the screen before I sew them together lol. Hope I making sense. Having a hard time getting them laid out. Mahalo.
    sigpicHawaiigrammi

I always think Electric Quilt is good, but it does have a steep learning curve. Here's another idea: think of using sashing as a kind of picture frame around the baby clothes.

When I was a new quilter, I took a Block of the Month class. I'd never even heard of squaring up your blocks, so I ended up with 12 blocks that did not match each other in size; some of them weren't even square. This paralyzed me for years. Then I came up with the idea to add sashing to make them all the same size.

So I added 1" of sashing on all four sides of each block. I then cut all the blocks down to the same size. I think the original blocks should have been 10"x10". After adding the 1" sashing, they were still wonky, but they were closer to 12"x12". I then cut them all down to 11"x11" making sure that the original block was centered in the sashing.

It worked really well except for the edges. Since I had sashing on all four sides of each original block, the inside edges were double the width of the outside edges. So I took the sashing fabric and made a 1" border. Everything then looked purposeful and balanced.

Similarly, if you take your largest baby outfit and put a thin sashing around it, you can then sash all the other pieces with sashing wide enough to equal the size of the first block. If you have some really small pieces, sash those the way you would frame two photos in one frame. I hope I'm being clear. You want to add enough sashing to make all your blocks the same size.

Let us know what you do!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Wow thank you for your input and it makes total sense I’ll try the 1” sashing on all pieces. I have 5x5, 10x10, 8x8 and all on lol I’ll try this because my pieces just aren’t fitting like I want lol. Mahalo
      sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Check out this info and there is a video to watch: http://calgarymqg.blogspot.com/2018/...t-economy.html
        “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
        “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

I like that economy block!

Comment

Working...
          X