Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have a favorite fabric designer/line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have a favorite fabric designer/line?

Just curious as to whether or not you tend to gravitate toward a particular fabric designer or fabric line? For me, I seem to keep coming back to Edyta Sitar. I have designed three quilts so far that feature her work prominently. It helps that my favorite color is blue, but she also has some nice reds and greens. I also like the fabric from French General and Kansas Troubles as well as fabric lines Nancy's Needle. The Civil War and Lincoln are my main areas of interest, so I imagine that is what draws me to those reproduction fabrics.

My biggest concern, though, is that I seem to be in a rut. I designed a quilt the other day using a block I found that features a star in a square. The picture on the left is using traditional fabric (Super Bloom and Agatha's Garden, mainly). In order to shake things up a bit, I used some fabric from the Kaffe Fassett collection. I still like the one on the left better, but I figure it's always a good idea to try to shake things up a bit.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob the HOAQ; July 27, 2020, 02:52 PM.
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Rob, if you're in a rut, Kaffe or Tula Pink are bold prints.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Kaffe and Zen Chic are my favorites!

Comment

My favorite designer is Maria Kalinowski. She started Kanvas Studios for Benartex Fabrics. But she seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. I see new designs coming from Kanvas, but they no longer bear her name. I just did an extensive Google search for her and nothing showed up since 2015.

I wonder what happened to her.
        Last edited by GuitarGramma; August 5, 2020, 02:56 PM.
        Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Hulamoon
          Hulamoon commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe she got hitched!

• GuitarGramma
          GuitarGramma commented
          Editing a comment
          That would be lovely!

snoopy and woodstock napping.gif For me it is the Robert Kauffman and Henry Glass fabrics I favor most.. My least favorites are Edyta Star and Tula Pink. I like the Kansas Troubles fabrics too tho' I have yet to order some. I did order the Loose Change ruler that I like. The dragonfly garden fabrics and panels by Henry Glass are even more beautiful in person than their pictures show. I can't wait to start working with them.

Comment

I started working with more earth tone fabrics. Did not like the repo fabrics of 30s or civil war. As time went on I have used both of these and love them both. Open yourself up to a variety of styles. You may surprise yourself. After all, variety is the spice of life

Comment

I do have any favorite fabric designer. Just seem to gravitate to what appeals to me. I do like the quilt on the left better than the right. I am partial to 30's and civil war fabrics but do not limit myself to them. I have been very interested in quilting for over 25 years but have not really had the time to work on them until I retired last year so I'm not as familiar with designers and lines of fabric as many who are on this forum.
            Carlie

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
              Nwmnteacher commented
              Editing a comment
              My least favorite is Kaffe Fassett. Like you, Carlie, I like 30's and Civil War prints.

I buy whatever strikes my fancy. A deciding factor also is if it's on sale or a DD, etc. I have a wide variety of Kaffe Fassett fabrics as well as batiks. I do not like the fall colors of Kansas Troubles. I also like Henry Glass fabrics. Grunge fabrics make great blenders & backgrounds. I'm watching for a sale on some Shabby fabrics by Lori Holt. I'd like to get the gray for my Smoke & Fire backing, but some are sold out & not available right now.

Comment

Getting tied to a specific line or designer is too limiting. I'm more about value and contrast and using whatever looks good together. Color is almost secondary as long as it's what I like. A good book on color may help you out.

I like the second example better. Less busy, more contrast. It doesn't hurt that it is in darks. If you dropped the last border and used that as binding it would look better IMO. Just put one together. It will look a lot different when pieced than in EQ.
              You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

My favorites are French General, Three Sisters, Kaffe Fassett, Tula Pink and Grunge. This list could change without warning....!
                Last edited by Bubby; July 28, 2020, 05:41 AM.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I love anything......fabric! 🤪 But if forced to choose I’m partial to Moda and Henry Glass and Riley Blake and.......I like sew so much......that’s my main problem......or addiction. I’m good with it, just can’t sew fast enough and right now, I’ve lost the mojo (hopefully short lived).
                  💫 Star lover

Comment

Kaffe Fassett, French General, Robert Kaufman, and anything Batik! I’ve sold off half my stash leaving me with a small amount of non batik fabrics. At the end of the day I buy what catches my eye!

Comment

I fell in love with batiks Kaufman & Hoffman, mostly I like bright to pastels, all the dark civil war type prints are just to dark for me, I need color!!
                      Kathryn
                      Man, Despite His artistic pretensions, his sophistication, his many accomplishments, Owes his existence to a Six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact, That It Rains! anonymous

Comment

Whatever strikes my fancy at the time becomes my favorite (for a day/week/month/). I also like the pattern on the right. It is more soothing to me. Maybe tomorrow I'll change my mind. LOL
                        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                        Aesop

Comment

I like most fabrics, love Edyta Sitar, Kim Deihl, Jo Morton, French General, so very many. I do not generally like most batiks [the colors get so muddy] however they are nice to sew with because of the weave tightness. The season tends to affect how I choose fabrics. Quilts and fall tones just seem perfect to me in the fall and winter.
                          I am not a fan of Tula or most novelty fabrics.

Comment

Working...
                          X