Quatrefoil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quatrefoil question

I bought that luscious William Morris layer cake the other day and have been thinking what pattern to use with it. The Quatrefoil is a favorite but I wonder about not cutting the layer cake down to 4= 4 1/2" segments. I hate to loose even an inch of my squares.🤨 Has anyone just upped the size of the background and accent fabrics to 2 3/4" so the 4 patches would end up at 5"? I know the snowballs would need to be bigger, too. Am I thinking this through or am I missing something that wouldn't let it work?
    Has anyone got a better idea for this layer cake? I have almost 3 yards of a background and a yard and a half of one of the prints for a border or whatever to add.

What about Katie's Quilt https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...-precut-fabric
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Claire Hallman
      Claire Hallman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I love that quilt but I don't think I want to cut the fabric that small, I think the design might be lost.

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    I bought that luscious William Morris layer cake the other day and have been thinking what pattern to use with it. The Quatrefoil is a favorite but I wonder about not cutting the layer cake down to 4= 4 1/2" segments. I hate to loose even an inch of my squares.🤨 Has anyone just upped the size of the background and accent fabrics to 2 3/4" so the 4 patches would end up at 5"? I know the snowballs would need to be bigger, too. Am I thinking this through or am I missing something that wouldn't let it work?
    Has anyone got a better idea for this layer cake? I have almost 3 yards of a background and a yard and a half of one of the prints for a border or whatever to add.
    I find that sounds very interesting . I am not good with figuring that . I hope someone is. Because I like the idea.

Comment

I think it would work. I'd try a test block with scraps first.
      *~* Myrna *~*
      *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• Claire Hallman
        Claire Hallman commented
        Editing a comment
        Good idea, I have a few random cake squares I could use.

• GuitarGramma
        GuitarGramma commented
        Editing a comment
        Claire, when I want to try a new idea, I use colored paper cut to size. I use a stapler to "sew" my 1/4" seams. No fabric wasted!

I bought it too. I designed a quilt.

Comment

My go to layer cake pattern is Jenny's Prairie Flower Quilt, when I want the fabric to show. I usually add a border to it , I cant remember if she does or not and pick up a color in the quilt for binding. I just finished this one for my niece. The Quatrefoil is also one of my favorites. I am not good with figuring out math for a quilt but your idea sounds like it would work. IMG_5602 (3).JPG
        Attached Files
        Last edited by TMP; July 19, 2020, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
          Claire Hallman commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice, that one is pretty.

Love everything William Morris. I've always thought some of Amy Butler's fabrics were a bit William Morris-y and if you want to go for a different pattern I have a one of hers called Ornament Quilt using her Cameo fabrics. I've looked to see if the free pdf pattern is out there but no luck but if you fancy it you could check too. This is it...

Comment

This is going to sound so random. If you did want to cut it in 5'' squares there is this one called Baby Kisses. You would just repeat the huge blocks. It has the same look, sorta.Well I think it does. lol

https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...quilt-tutorial
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
          Momofmonsters5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ohhh I like it! I have another layer cake this would look perfect with!

• Hulamoon
          Hulamoon commented
          Editing a comment
          It would make a cute little baby quilt without the 5'' border. Something in all pinks maybe.

Thanks ladies, I am working on a test block of the quatrefoil and will post when done.
        I don't think the ornament one will work very well with my layer cake [and skills] but it is a beauty.
        I have been considering just doing a double slice and a few others. One day exactly the perfect thing will come to me😁

Comment

Here is my test block it turned out fine using 2 3/4" strips for the 4 patches and 2 3/4" squares for the snowballs. I cut the layer cake into 5" squatrefoilsample.JPGquares. Now all I need to do is figure out my accent colors that suit my layer cake best.

Comment

Look forward to seeing it in your William Morris fabrics
            Last edited by sewUK; July 22, 2020, 04:07 AM. Reason: Coudn't see the 'smile' - why don't we see the images now?

Comment

Looks great!
              *~* Myrna *~*
              *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Working...
              X