Which border would you choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which border would you choose?

I can't make up my mind what to do with the border on this quilt! I put on the multi-colored border and thought it was too busy. I bought some fabric from Etsy that turned out to be similar, but not an exact match, to one of the other fabrics in the quilt.

Now I'm not sure I want to make the change. I think the multi border competes with the piecing, but the new fabric is a little lighter than anticipated and I'm not sure it would be an improvement.

Which would you choose? I have been waffling on this decision for a while now and would like to get this quilt finished. I am using the multi-colored fabric for the back.

Thank you!

DSCN0693 (1).jpgDSCN0687.jpg
    Aqua border
    42.11%
    Multi border
    53.68%
    Other
    4.21%

I love your colorful quilt! I made a quilt for my sister a couple years ago. I put kind of a busy floral border on it and every time I see at her house I kind of groan, what was I thinking!! Because I think it would have looked way better with a solid color. (I even thought about taking it back to redo the border but it was all hand quilted with scalloped edges and bias binding, so no I was not doing that over.) So think it over real hard esp if you are having any second thoughts about the multi. Don't make the mistake I did!

Hey I am totally impressed you incorporated a poll into your post! I wouldn't have a clue how to do that but I think it is cool!

Comment

I am torn on which to use, too. I think the stop border of black helps but if you think the multi distracts from the quilt I would definitely go with the aqua.
      Carlie

Comment

I think they both work with the black stop border, but go with your gut. Personally, I'll do your vote button for the solid.

By the way, you'll need to teach the rest of us your technical skills regarding the poll.

Comment

Beautiful quilt. I really like either border. If you decide to use the solid, perhaps you could bind it with the print fabric as kind of a frame. This certainly illustrates how a border can change the appearance of the whole quilt, doesn't it? In this case, I think either one would work well. I'm a lot of help, aren't I? 😃

Please let us know what you decide.

Comment

I like the look the floral border gives the main body. I like that it matches the back, and I'd bind it in black. Not all eyes are the same, nor are tastes. This is mine.
            You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

OH my, I love the color in the first one but voted for the second one. It gives the quilt just a bit more pop!!!😁

Comment

Its a tough one. I love them both, The multi pulls all the colours together, while the solid lets it rest. I think I would vote for solid, but your choice.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Regardless of which border you use, be sure to do the binding in black.

Comment

I really like it but I pick the solid . But either going to be beautiful. What line of fabric did use the rail fence blocks. I really like it!

Comment

• JulieC
                      JulieC commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The fabric line was Caribbean Breeze by Island Batiks. It bought it as a DD a year or two ago.

When deciding on fabrics, I'll let my eyes unfocus and see what stands out. With the light aqua border, the yellow pops, with the multi color, most everything pops. So, it's what you are going for. If you want the yellow to pop, change it. If you want it all to pop, leave it. I voted for the multi color, as I like that option best. But its not my quilt.
                    Libi is the name, mischief is my game.

Comment

Beautiful either way, but I really like how you used a narrow black border. I'm more partial to the multi-border. If you did not have the black border I would have chose the aqua border. I like the idea of using black binding.
                      Vonnie

Comment

I think that either one works. I voted for the aqua because it just felt a little calmer. In the picture, the aqua appears to be a perfect match to the aqua in the quilt.

Here is a cool trick I learned for auditioning fabric: Take a pair of binoculars and look through them backwards. Instead of magnifying, it helps you to see if something stands out.

Comment

I think you could have made different color "blocks" instead of the black thin border too. Or made rectangle blocks out of the multi color with the black too.
                          The quilt is VERY nice and I think whatever you decide will be GREAT!!
                          Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                          http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I personally like the multi color print for the border. This is just my preference but most of the time I use the same fabric for the binding as the last border I put on any of my quilts. Gives a smooth transition from border to binding.
                            If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Working...
                            X