Hand quilting questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand quilting questions

Using one of Jenny's Big Star blocks and adding two borders made my table topper. This is what I want to quilt. Where do I start? Do I use a hoop? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Janet

Baste your layers, then start in the middle and work your way out. Some like a hoop, some don't. Its a matter of preference. Above all, take your time and enjoy it.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

I do like using a hoop. I layer and pin instead of basting. I recommend watching some videos on how to move the needle. It is a little different than hand sewing a seam.
      Carlie

Comment

• auntstuff
        auntstuff commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, pin basting

I use a lap hoop. I think it keeps my stitches more even. Make sure your quilt is loose in the hoop. Center it on your topper and tighten the screw but not all the way tight. Then take your fist and punch it down a couple times in the middle until it looks a little floppy, then tighten your screw all the way. If your quilt is not loose you will break your needle when you rock it because there is no give in the fabric. If you have any other questions just ask! Idk if this is your first time HQ so not sure what kind of advice you were looking for.

Comment

I prefer not to use a hoop, but that is just personal preference. Always had a hard time manuevering the hoop but I do lay a large quilt on a table top like a card table to take up the weight. Starting in the center will ease out the fabric evenly, but I have done smaller projects wherever it felt best. Have fun what ever you decide. It takes several tries to find your own personal way.
        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
        Aesop

Comment

If you pin baste and use a hoop, make sure you move your pins out of the way of the hoop so you don't rip a hole in your fabric.
          Here is a link to one of my favourite quilters, when I first started to quilt I was enthralled that she did all her piecing by hand as well. https://jinnybeyer.com/perfecting-ha...ting-stitches/

Comment

Working...
          X