Jelly roll quilt problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jelly roll quilt problem

I have sewn my strips for jelly roll quilt. It is caddy wampus! I stitched them side by side w 1/4” seam. How do I straighten it up! Clearly I’m a beginner😬

some say to sew one direction and then the next, meaning at the top of strips and then turning the next one and doing from the bottom. helps keep things even. Big thing in stitching long seams is not so pull on the fabric but guide it under the needle. let the foot and feed dogs do the work. you just keep the fabric straight. good luck.

Comment

I agree with nativetexan, go the other direction on your seams. I learned that after I sewed a coin quilt together. You could try to block it like a sweater. That's the only thing i know except to take it out, maybe every other seam? Sorry 🙁
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Make sure you are pressing the strips and not ironing. This video explains a good method at about the 6 minute point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7vb8xb8eGk

If your iron is curved that can also skew the strips when you iron them. I sub-cut the strips into more manageable lengths especially if the long strips are to cut later. Easier to piece a 20 inch strip instead of 40 inch strip.

Keep your right forefinger on the edge of fabric strips to help guide them to the presser foot on the machine. Be sure you aren't pushing them in on a curve through the feed dogs. Gently give the strips a tickle motion and don't pull. Do you have a 1/4 inch guide on the foot? That helps too. When I struggle with piecing, I will mark the seam to give me a visual point for the seam line. It helps.

Good luck!

Comment

Jordan Fabrics' tutorial says to sew the strips every other way to prevent curving.

Comment

Originally posted by llewanne View Post
            I have sewn my strips for jelly roll quilt. It is caddy wampus! I stitched them side by side w 1/4” seam. How do I straighten it up! Clearly I’m a beginner😬
            I curious what pattern you are making. Is it the jelly roll race or are you just sewing them together with no pattern in mind? I'm asking because you could turn it into a rail fence and that would solve part of the problem.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

It's almost funny... Jelly roll and other long strip quilts are one the most challenging, and certainly one of the toughest places for a new quilter to start.

Sewing long straight seams requires lots of practice and sewing time, as well as getting to know that sewing machine and how to fine tune adjustments for the seam allowance. You also have to feed it straight, and hold a consistent seam allowance. This takes practice, and then... we lose focus once in a while and the stitching line goes awry (we all do it). 42" full strip piecing can make you dizzy. This all causes curves in the strips.

There is a lot of good advice out there on how to overcome. The problem is, no matter how well explained, doesn't work for everyone. We have our own way of doing stuff and we need to experiment, test, and practice to find "our" way. For instance, you can say... "Press, don't iron." One's ironing versus the other's pressing may be different, or maybe the same. The use of starch, steam, or any other factor which may differ. Then there's the JR themselves. You can't straighten them out if necessary, or pre-wash, or starch. Too many challenges which can cause problems.

Change stitching direction end-to-end? On the long seams we almost all go wrong at a certain point along the way. If you flip end for end, you make the same mistake at roughly the same point. It balances things out so it appears straight. It's better though to take care of the root cause. It takes lots of practice, but it will serve you well. I could go on and on about this, but I'll spare you...

So... why do they tell us a good beginner quilt is a full strip quilt using JR? You need very little equipment to get started. A sewing machine, fabric and thread, and maybe a tape measure and some scissors. Doesn't require a cutting mat. rotary cutter, rulers, etc. Still... why? Cuz, it sells products. Enough rant!
              You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• Vonnie
                Vonnie commented
                Editing a comment
                Sewing Jelly Roll strips is a real challenge especially when you find that the generic quarter inch foot does not work on a Babylock machine. Found this out the hard way! Once I bought the right foot, I was able to stitch a straight seam. Something about the foot needing to cover all the feed dogs. The babylock quarter inch foot with flange covers the feed dogs but the flange is not on the edge of the feed dogs

I agree that sewing long strips can be aggravating for beginners!.

• TMP
                TMP commented
                Editing a comment
                I totally agree Oldman . My daughter brought me a jelly roll race quilt she had made over to quilt. It was a real challenge because it was wavy. I tried to work in the fullness and and ended up having to sew a pleat in it when I came to the bottom.

I don't think it is possible to straighten it out now unless you want to pick out alot of seams. You know, we are our own worst critics, and chances are it will still look pretty good once it is quilted and washed. I would just finish it and chalk it up to a learning experience. We have all done this to some degree or other so don't be too discouraged and above all don't let this make you give up on quilting!

Comment

• oldmanquilts
                oldmanquilts commented
                Editing a comment
                You're right jj. Put it together and move on. You'll be proud you finished it, and chances are that picking seams and trying to straighten it up, especially your first, may result in just giving up altogether. Hard to get the necessary practice if you give up.
            Working...
            X