What Stitch Length Do You Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Stitch Length Do You Use?

What stitch length do you use when piecing your blocks? Same for sewing blocks together? Same for binding?

Re: What Stitch Length Do You Use?

Mine is set to 2.2 (whatever that means!)...and I've often wondered if it should be smaller? Thanks for posting this!

Comment

Mine is factory set at 2.5 and I usually leave it there except when paper piecing and I put it at about 1.9 - that is so the paper will pull off and leave the sitches intact.
      Shirley aka buckeyequilter
      I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Mine is also factory set to 2.5 - which i used when making Jenny's wacky web quilt - when pulling paper - MOST stitches are pulling out! So much work and probably never be able to put it together!

Comment

I've heard you should use 1.8 when you are making your patches because that will help keep the seam from coming apart at the edges before you can sew them together. I usually keep it at the factory setting of 2.5 though, because 1.) I don't think to do it, and 2.) It is so hard to rip, and I do that a lot.
          Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

I piece at 2.5 but if I am doing stitch in the ditch or any straight line quilting on my sewing machine I move it to 3.2

Comment

I use 2.0 length
              *~* Myrna *~*
              *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Originally posted by Roxanne View Post
                I piece at 2.5 but if I am doing stitch in the ditch or any straight line quilting on my sewing machine I move it to 3.2
                Same as Roxanne and I use about 1.8 for paper piecing.

Comment

I usually keep mine at the factory setting of 2.5.
                  Lori

Comment

For my regular piecing I usually just use my factory 2.5, paper piecing a 1.8 or 1.9. I end up having to rip stitches too, otherwise i'd use a shorter stitch. For my quilting I use a walking foot and usually just do about a 3.5- it looks better, sits nicer with my fabrics and as many times as I've abused my quilts- mostly baby quilts so they get machine washed a LOT and tossed here and there and basically treated every way but the proper way to treat a quilt, rofl. Sometimes though if my fabric is being all funky and wants to unravel on me- sometimes some of the "mystery fabric" i pick up at second hand stores or am given- and i'll either use a shorter stitch and/ or use my serger on all the sides. I really like serging everything before i make things like clothes, or if i'm piecing a quilt with wool or anything else that hates being controlled so to speak.

It's really great though to get to see what everyone else uses, i've often wondered if i was using a "correct" length. My mom taught me to sew when i was 10 but other than sewing quilt tops for other people she didn't exactly quilt- or do zippers, lol. So all of my quilting is pretty much self taught through trial and error and research.

5" small floral charm swap closes on the 10th as does the 2 1/2 pastel pink strip group. Come join us in the fun and adventure!!!

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=65
                    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=66

Comment

I'm sure you guys will think I'm crazy, but I've started piecing with my stitch set at 1.7. It always bothered me to piece without doing a lockstitch or backstitch at the beginning and end of a line of stitching. Using a small stitch keeps the seam ends from pulling loose easily and keeps me from worrying about it. I thought it might keep my seams from ironing nice and flat, but it doesn't.
                      Last edited by bec; March 7th, 2013, 09:03 PM.
                      Bec

Comment

I use factory setting for piecing and all other sewing when making a top, when quilting I use a quilting stitch and lengthen it to 3.0 or higher! Works great for me!

Comment

My piecing is done at 1.8. That is a straight stitch, preprogramed for piecing with my Janome.

Comment

Yep. I use the same for piecing and binding. My machine automatically starts with 2.5. That's what I use. When I quilt I go much bigger. 3.5 to 4.0 works well for me. I use the embroidery function on my machine to do most of my quilting. I don't know what length that stitch is since the machine does the settings automatically.
                            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I use 2.4 for most piecing. When I paper piece (seldom) the stitch length gets shortened.
                              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working...
                              X