Now what? Actual quilting of quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now what? Actual quilting of quilt

Hello! I'm new, totally new, here. I decided to make a quilt for my sister in law in May. It's my first quilt ever. So far, it's turned out exactly how I wanted. I have the quilt top made, and have it pinned to the batting and the backing. Now I'm not sure what to do. I know I need to quilt it. But when I was practicing, I think I broke my sewing machine (it's currently being serviced) and I'm using my backup. I'd like to finish it but I'm just do worried that I'll break my back up machine now.

Is there a very, very easy (but classy) way to quilt this? (I tried "stipling" when my machine broke).

Thank you!
    Dominique

May 31, 2020_3I4B3648.jpg
    Attached Files

Very nice! Do you have a serpentine stitch on your machine, a wavy s? I think I would go the other direction though. Or not. lol

serpentine.jpg
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
      Very nice! Do you have a serpentine stitch on your machine, a wavy s? I think I would go the other direction though. Or not. lol

serpentine.jpg
      I think I do! At least, I think I was using one like that. I'll have to double check. Thank you!

Comment

That's a very pretty quilt! Congratulations! What kind of machine do you have ? If you have a walking foot, you might try straight-line quilting. Also, make sure that your quilt is well supported so there's no drag. Stippling takes a bit of practice. It helps to make a few "practice" pieces and work on those to increase your skill. Hope you'll keep us updated on your progress.

Comment

• Dominique
          Dominique commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! My backup is a Bernina 1008 - I don't have a walking foot, but I ordered one this morning. Hopefully, it will arrive quickly. I have some quilting sandwiches ready to practice, but I don't have the presser foot to practice - again, I ordered one, and I hope it will arrive quickly.

Your quilt colors are beautiful!

Comment

• Dominique
          Dominique commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! 🥰

I agree with Hulamoon. The serpentine stitch is easy and will look great. Be sure to use a walking foot so that the quilt top, batting, and backing all feed through the machine without the layers shifting. Love that quilt!

I don't want to scare you away from free motion quilting (FMQ). It is a skill that requires practice. I am definitely not there yet. I am suggesting using a walking foot and the serpentine stitch so that you will get a quilt you are happy with. But definitely start playing with FMQ on some practice pieces. When you are happy with your FMQ skills, you can quilt another top.

Lori Kennedy is running a 25 week quilt along to improve your FMQ skills. I highly recommend it.

https://lorikennedyquilts.com
        Last edited by MSN; July 9, 2020, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Hulamoon
          Hulamoon commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, thanks for posting that link! Since I don't need a foot with my new Pfaff I should breeze right through that. Not, lol

• MSN
          MSN commented
          Editing a comment
          She wrote a book that goes along with it, and all the lessons are based on the book. However, I think you could get by without the book if you want. I did purchase the book and thought it was worth it. I had good intentions of keeping up, but fell behind in the very first week. Fortunately, you can move at your own pace, and I WILL do this when I have more time and energy. Like maybe in retirement. ;-)

• Dominique
          Dominique commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! Someway, while scouring the internet, I ended up on her page. I'll go back and look at it. I ordered a generic walking foot (fitting my machine) - and I hope it will arrive soon.

The quilting sandwiches are ready...I just need the presser feet for my backup and lots of time to practice. 😊 (I was practicing with my main machine when it broke. 😳)

Your quilt is beautiful. Love the colors. I don't know about you but when I get to this stage - sandwiched, pinned, and ready to actually quilt it, I generally just want it done. LOL Therefore, I generally find myself just doing straight line quilting as the free motion quilting takes some time to get done and in my case have it look good. The serpentine stitch is great for straight line quilting. You could just stitch a line of serpentine across the middle of the fabric in the row. Or on the seam line of the row. Kinda a loose stitch in the ditch kind of thing. Depending on how dense you want the quilting to be, you could just do every other row or every third row. Hopefully you will get more ideas for how to actually stitch it, and where. That has always been my issue.

Comment

• Dominique
          Dominique commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are great suggestions. Thank you. That's where I'm at: just get it done. I'd be done by now if I had my main machine...but at least I'll have to the necessary presser feet for my back up if I'm ever in a similar situation.

Your quilt is BEAUTIFUL! I love the pattern and the colors. Great job!!

Comment

• Dominique
          Dominique commented
          Editing a comment
          😘 Thank you! (I'm really pleased about how it turned out - it's not perfect but I'm happy with it.).

If you do end up with straight line as a choice it's nice to have this in your tool box. A quilting bar. i have seen DIY ones too. If you ever do a circle you need one of these!

qbf.jpg
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Dominique
          Dominique commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't even think that it would be helpful for circles! I totally need one. Thank you! (I ordered a walking foot, it should arrive next week).

I agree about the serpentine stitch. It's very forgiving. Just remember to lengthen your stitch length to a 2.5 or 3. I liked sewing on the seams for two reasons. Kept me from drifting and also helped to secure the seams. Especially on a quilt that might get a lot of washing like a baby quilt or child's quilt.
        Vonnie

Comment

• Dominique
          Dominique commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! I'm pretty sure I will do the serpentine - and I am worried about "drifting off". That's a great point about securing the seams.

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          I would recommend nothing shorter than a 3.0 stitch length. I recommend doing every row. check with the package requirements for your batting. Most say ~3" or 4". I did a lot of straight line stitching before I learned FMQ. It definitely takes practice!

Very pretty quilt and I am surprised it is your first. It looks so good! I love the serpentine and the design it makes. I can't FMQ at all, I am only a HQ, so sorry can't give you any advice.

Comment

• Dominique
          Dominique commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! I'm not new to sewing - I've made clothes, costumes, duvé covers, home projects, etc. I've just never made a quilt. I started one 20 years ago while I was in grad school (still have all the pieces), but I had a crummy sewing machine and the triangles were a bear. Back then, there was nothing on YouTube about quilting. So, I gave up.

When you get around to free motion quilting, try using a big print or a panel and quilt along the lines. I made some nice pads for between my big serving platters doing that.
        My vote is also for some nice straight line quilting on your sister's quilt.
        Be who you are and say what you feel
        because those who mind don't matter,
        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

• Dominique
          Dominique commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a great idea. I didn't think about making projects like that...and using them. And thank you for the suggestion.
      Working...
      X